oops!

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
gkmoberg1

oops!

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:03 pm

https://www.dw.com/en/germany-10-year-o ... a-46637263

Oops. Glad nobody was hurt. But I could see Oskar pulling this off. Or perhaps a young John Ajvide.

metoo

Re: oops!

Post by metoo » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:16 pm

Well, I don't think Oskar would have done blown up a school toilet, and neither would John. They liked school, I think, and would not want to destroy it. Their problem was some of their schoolmates, and their arsonist actions were aimed at the latter.

For those who haven't already heard this: John actually did put the locker of one of his class mate's on fire. But he did it in ninth grade, not in sixth.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:41 pm

metoo wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:16 pm
Well, I don't think Oskar would have done blown up a school toilet, and neither would John. They liked school, I think, and would not want to destroy it. Their problem was some of their schoolmates, and their arsonist actions were aimed at the latter.

For those who haven't already heard this: John actually did put the locker of one of his class mate's on fire. But he did it in ninth grade, not in sixth.
I apologize. I did not write my thought well enough.

I do not think either would do so out of a malice for destruction. That is not John and it is not Oskar. Rather both, I think, would have done so, out of youthful curiosity of taking a bit of revenge and at the same time not realizing how power a blast of this type would bring. The 10 yr old who blew up this bathroom likely did not know the firecracker's destructive ability when set off in a confined space. When I saw this article I thought of John's misadventure with the locker. I was only thinking of this event from John's youth; not present-day John. And of course I thought of Oskar's misadventure with the desk at the school. In Oskar's case, he did not realize the energy he was releasing.

JToede

Post by JToede » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:27 pm

A fire cracker? It more like a stick of dynamite.
Veni, Vidi, volo in domum redire.

metoo

Post by metoo » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:15 pm

Sure. If Oskar had had access to oversize firecrackers, he might have applied those to the school desks instead of T-röd. And perhaps John would have used a firecracker, too, although I don’t see how. He wanted his action to be limited, directed only to one single person, although his fire unintentionally damaged stuff in nearby lockers. But a firecracker is something else, and it is not easy to get one inside someone else’s locker. As opposed to a flammable liquid, which can be squirted in through the vents...
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:01 am

JToede wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:27 pm
A fire cracker? It more like a stick of dynamite.
Yeah. I wish they'd shown a picture of this so-called fire cracker. :shock:
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

metoo

Post by metoo » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:26 am

PeteMork wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:01 am
They did.

It's all over the place in this picture:

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:26 pm

metoo wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:26 am
PeteMork wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:01 am
They did.

It's all over the place in this picture:
Are you sure it's all there? :D I'd hate to be on the forensics team that had to reconstruct it.
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

Return to “Off Topic”