Greta (2019)

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
gkmoberg1

Greta (2019)

Post by gkmoberg1 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:33 am

If you get the chance to see it, I recommend 'Greta'

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/greta_2019

It's not excellent, it's not great. But it's not horrible. (oh, gosh, what a recommendation!! :? ) . The tension ramps up well as the story progresses, but there are a number of places where I wondered why some of those involved didn't, well, make use of the technologies they have in their hands all the time and/or get the police involved.

I watched the series Hidden over the last week (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7217374/) . They have a similar theme. It's a bit of an unfair comparison because Greta is a feature length film (2hrs) and then Hidden is series (8x 1hr episodes), but between the two, I recommend Hidden.

Points for Greta: Chloë Grace Moretz. Watching her having to survive being in a very confining box reminds of some other movie...

Pros for Hidden: Wales. No boxes. No Chloë. Kept me awake nights.

dongregg

Re: Greta (2019)

Post by dongregg » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:33 am

The review in the New Yorker sounds as though Chloe's character does everything wrong except run into the woods and fall down.

Still, the review gives an A to Huppert's performance.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

be-me-a-little

Post by be-me-a-little » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:27 am

Just saw this film today actually! I agree with the points that you made here, and I felt myself saying those same things to myself while watching the film.
I found it entertaining nonetheless, and I absolutely adored Isabelle Huppert's performance, but she can do no wrong in my eyes (:
perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:18 am

I was told last week the lead here, Eva Melander, plays a prominent role in the TV series Rebecka Martinsson. I've seen some of that, but not recently.

Return to “Off Topic”