Which JAL Stories Would You Like To See Made Into Films?

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
be-me-a-little

Which JAL Stories Would You Like To See Made Into Films?

Post by be-me-a-little » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:37 pm

Wasn't quite sure where to post this, but I am curious, which other John Ajvide Lindqvist stories would any of you like to see made into films or short films?
For me, I'd be happy with any, but I feel that Little Star would make a fantastic film!
perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood

bluezephyr

Re: Which JAL Stories Would You Like To See Made Into Films?

Post by bluezephyr » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:13 pm

I've read Handling The Undead, really good book. I would really enjoy a movie adaptation of it. The way he depicts zombies is really out of the box and intelligent. I haven't read little star but the way the book is written backwards would make for a very interesting film in my opinion. Can't wait to read the book though. :D

Pissball

Post by Pissball » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:58 am

Little Star. Plus, I can't read it, since there's no translation.
Also, Harbor.

But, Little Star seems to be my taste, again I haven't read it, but it reminds me that bizarre but great german film "Der Fan" (horror+teen girl+german new wave music) in this case, swedish pop apparently.
And the characters resemble somehow Eli+Oskar.

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:35 am

Harbour

The sequel he's planning to write for LTROI :D

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:09 am

Little Star - Not so excited about as a movie

Harbour - Yes!

LTROI as a short televised mini-series that presents the novel (ie: none of the shortenings done when they created the orig film) - Yes!

Handling the Undead - I'll give this a Yes as a feature-length film. To set it into a 90-120 minute film, the director would have to cut down the story, yet I think that'd give it just the kick it needs for making a good movie.

Siggdalos

Post by Siggdalos » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:31 pm

Since the Handling the Undead movie is confirmed to be happening, my first pick would be Harbour, but that's probably not going to happen for budget reasons (specifically the ending).

I'm a fan of the Places trilogy (I don't like the first two books on their own as much, but I Am the Tiger is currently my second favorite JAL novel after LTROI and ties together the overarching story of the trilogy in a really satisfying way), but unfortunately I don't think any of them would make for good movies. I'd love to be proven wrong, of course.

I think pretty much all of his short stories are too short or narratively simple to be stretched out to feature length. The one exception is Border, and even in that case they had to add a new subplot and I still think the film drags on at times. However, if we expand to talking about short or anthology films, then I think almost all of his short stories have potential for good adaptations. My personal picks (not necessarily my favorite stories, but the ones I think are best suited for the screen) would include Vertical Village, Eternal/Love, The Girl, Antiques Roadshow, Come Unto Me, Hair (which was specifically written for a potential short film project), and The Music of Bengt Karlsson, Murderer.

At the end of the day, though, I'd be interested in any adaptation of John's works, even the stories I feel are weaker.
Last edited by Siggdalos on Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:58 pm

Thanks for your thoughtful analysis. :)
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:57 pm

Honestly, I'd like to see an Asian version of Let The Right One In, directed by Kim Jee-woon, Wong Kar-wai, Hirokazu Koreeda, or ideally either Lee Chang-dong or Chan-wook Park

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:26 pm

I agree, Jameron. The Korean movie industry is first rate, :think:
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

danielmann861

Post by danielmann861 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:28 am

Let the Right One In -- I wouldn't be against a Netflix adaptation turned into a one-off series. Like maybe a 6 episode mini series telling the book again in a much closer form? Could be interesting. Either that or give me a Korean or Japanese version of LTROI. That would be something :D

Handling the Undead -- Supposedly still happening. Still waiting to see what that movie can be.

Harbour -- In some ways, I think this would work better as a mini series rather than a film. Although, I can still imagine a film version directed by Alfredson for some reason. I feel like it would work under his direction.

Little Star -- YES! Might be my second favorite JAL novel and I would kill for an adaptation of this.

Return to “Off Topic”