Legends of Vampires May've Been Proto-porphyria Sufferiers

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|

dongregg

Re: Legends of Vampires May've Been Proto-porphyria Sufferie

Post by dongregg » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:17 am

Good article. I used older research in part 4 of "Set Me As a Seal":

However, a rare but well-understood illness would account for their extreme reaction to sunlight, for why they appear as though their skin is never touched by the sun – pale, although not alabaster.”

“Close enough. What is the condition?”

“Porphyria cutanea tarda. Sunlight causes the skin to blister severely and almost instantly. Although we know the genetic flaw that causes the condition, there is no cure. Treatment involves ways of reducing excess iron, such as through blood replacement. And here is something of interest, although I do not think it would help the children to know it.”

Mr. Ávila raises a questioning eyebrow.

“PCT has been suggested as the origin of vampire myths. People with the condition avoid the sun and crave iron-rich foods, such as blood and red meat.”

“I see your point, Professor Grigore. They don’t need to know about the vampire conjecture.”
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

metoo

Post by metoo » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:40 am

Well, I doubt porphyria involves blisters that blacken, smoke and eventually burst into flames...
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:54 pm

metoo wrote:Well, I doubt porphyria involves blisters that blacken, smoke and eventually burst into flames...
Perhaps you are thinking of porphyria cutanea vampyra? :lol:
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:38 am

"It would've been nice to know this a little earlier!" :evil:

Return to “Off Topic”