Let the Right One in Review

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
dongregg

Re: Let the Right One in Review

Post by dongregg » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:21 pm

Yes, I felt that too when I was reading the two posts. Yet it would be hard to comment on the review without pointing out one of its chief weaknesses.

As a teacher, I cross the PC boundary a lot. I'll probably get slapped down for it someday. But I do it in the spirit of intellectual challenge, and I assiduously avoid any suggestion that I favor one pole or another of highly polarizing issues. I would say that most teachers are docilely confirming to New Speak and keeping their heads down.

But a college classroom is not our forum, and the forum rules are clear.

As for how I run my classroom, I guess I'm too old to learn new ways.

Anyway, I'll cleave to the wisdom of a fortune cookie I once got:

"Old dogs don't need to learn new tricks."
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Pissball

Post by Pissball » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:46 pm

Hes right, probably.

Besides that, I think we stopped too much in her critics on the "gender identity" and shit, and she actually continued, I just watched the whole thing, and after all is a good review. And the dilemas she states on the gender issue are pretty much the same than those discused in this forum, her only problem is thinking Eli or LTROI as a metaphor of transgender people, which it's not, JAL stated Eli is about androgyny, and also how that works in the characters relationship.

Saying this, my post was actually against any type of political agenda/category, because that's what LROI is after all, from my pov, they are characters in a fiction, created by author who's political/religous views are out of my knowledge.

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:12 am

gattoparde59 wrote:"15. Posts of a political nature are not allowed."

I think the previous two posts could have made their points without straying into politics. :|
Actually, the entire forum rule #15 reads:
15. Posts of a political nature are not allowed. The only exceptions are discussion of the politics of Sweden and discussion of the politics of Reagan-era United States as it relates to Let Me In. The definition of "political" is at the discretion of the forum management. If you are not sure whether something you want to post is "political," please PM a moderator before posting.
I have asked the Moderator staff to review this thread.
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

cmfireflies

Post by cmfireflies » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:52 am

Wolfchild wrote:
gattoparde59 wrote:"15. Posts of a political nature are not allowed."

I think the previous two posts could have made their points without straying into politics. :|
Actually, the entire forum rule #15 reads:
15. Posts of a political nature are not allowed. The only exceptions are discussion of the politics of Sweden and discussion of the politics of Reagan-era United States as it relates to Let Me In. The definition of "political" is at the discretion of the forum management. If you are not sure whether something you want to post is "political," please PM a moderator before posting.
I have asked the Moderator staff to review this thread.
Hey Wolfy, you're not gonna invoke Rule # 0? ;)
as I make the laws here, I can also break them. With impunity
Anyways, I'm going to voice an unpopular opinion and say that I liked the review. Aside from the unwarranted focus on the transgrender metaphors where there was none, she "got" the story. No insistence that Eli was using Oskar, or anything like that. I think she quick liked the story.
"When is a monster not a monster? Oh, when you love it."

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:30 am

cmfireflies wrote:...Anyways, I'm going to voice an unpopular opinion and say that I liked the review. Aside from the unwarranted focus on the transgrender metaphors where there was none, she "got" the story. No insistence that Eli was using Oskar, or anything like that. I think she quick liked the story.
QFT. This is sorta what I meant when I said:
... She did make some interesting points, most of which have slipped my mind by now because they were lost in all the non-interesting ones.
I do think she got it -- which is probably why she liked it so much the first time she saw it, and subsequently got lost in the weeds when she tried to overanalyze it.
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:36 am

cmfireflies wrote:Hey Wolfy, you're not gonna invoke Rule # 0? ;)
as I make the laws here, I can also break them. With impunity
I doubt it. I don't believe that I ever have in the past. I'm quite serious about not abusing admin privileges. It will take more than being denounced as counter-revolutionary to get me to do it now. ;)

I'll wait and see what the consensus among the mods is.
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:31 am

I don't think there has been a serious violation of the rules here. The discussions were closely tied to matters directly related to the film, and the film remains the main focus of the posts.

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:15 pm

dongregg wrote:Yes, I felt that too when I was reading the two posts. Yet it would be hard to comment on the review without pointing out one of its chief weaknesses.

As a teacher, I cross the PC boundary a lot. I'll probably get slapped down for it someday. But I do it in the spirit of intellectual challenge, and I assiduously avoid any suggestion that I favor one pole or another of highly polarizing issues. I would say that most teachers are docilely confirming to New Speak and keeping their heads down.

No wait! The old dog has a loophole.

Rule number 3. "Trolling is permitted so long as it spawns interesting or amusing discussion. Artless trolling will earn you attention that you don't want."

I think what you are describing is trolling artfully. :)

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:46 pm

gattoparde59 wrote:
dongregg wrote:Yes, I felt that too when I was reading the two posts. Yet it would be hard to comment on the review without pointing out one of its chief weaknesses.

No wait! The old dog has a loophole.

Rule number 3. "Trolling is permitted so long as it spawns interesting or amusing discussion. Artless trolling will earn you attention that you don't want."

I think what you are describing is trolling artfully. :)
Thanks for noticing! :)
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:38 am

dongregg wrote:Well, um, I made it 10 minutes into the critique.
Haha, you have more stamina than I do. I only lasted a minute. The joke about her mother being half Swedish chief (on top all that cheese) was enough to convince me that this wouldn't be a serious review. I bailed.

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

Return to “Off Topic”