Old Hot Wheels

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
a_contemplative_life

Old Hot Wheels

Post by a_contemplative_life » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:32 am

My brother and I were texting about our childhood the other night and the topic turned to slot cars and Hot Wheels. Back in '04 when we had to clean out our childhood home, I saved all of our old Hot Wheels cars because I figured my kids might be interested in them. Now that they've all matured beyond adolescence, these things have returned to a quiet life on a basement shelf, augmented by an armada of new Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars. But the exchange with my brother got me to thinking about them, so I decided to haul them out and see what I really had. I went on-line and discovered there is a whole network/industry built up around collecting, restoring, and buying/selling these things. If you had possessed the foresight to buy some back in '68 and set them aside, you could make yourself a nice little profit! Now I'm thinking maybe I'll tear some of these apart and fix 'em up. Or maybe buy some more to round out a set from 1968. Why? I have no idea, to tell the truth.

So anyway, thought I'd share some pics of my old beat-up, "heavily played with" Hot Wheels from 1968 to 1976 in case they bring back memories of my fellow forum dwellers, who might have some Hot Wheels stories of their own to share... :D

Alive '55 (1969)

Ferrari 312P (1969) Pretty sure I painted this thing silver when I was a kid.

Formula P.A.C.K. (1973) Does anyone know what "PACK" means? I have no idea.

Funny Money (1970) Always thought this little purple truck was cool.

Heavy Chevy (1969) This is actually my brother's car. I always lusted after it, but he would never sell or trade it for anything. If it were in mint condition, it would be worth a small fortune.

Mongoose Funny Car (1969) Another terrible repaint? I can't remember.

Neet Streeter (1976)

Paddy Wagon (1969) I always loved this thing because it had so much character. Obviously it needs some help.

Pit Crew (1971)

Shelby Turbine (1969) In the best shape, probably because no one liked it very much.

Street Rodder (1975)

The Hood (1971)

dongregg

Re: Old Hot Wheels

Post by dongregg » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:35 am

Kool, Daddy-o.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:53 am

Got a good collection!

My brother and I went through a bunch of these as well. I have no idea where any of them would be. Yet I certain they'd be beyond saving; we really played hard with them.

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:28 am

We had a bunch of HO-scale train buildings which we'd set up on the floor. Get the Hot Wheels & matchboxes out and we were occupied for hours.

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:57 am

I ordered some new Hot Wheels to augment my collection, thought I'd share.

Beatnik Bandit

Silhouette

Chill Mill

Olds 442 (Johnny Lightning)

Haulinator

'17 Pagani Huayra Roadster

Futurismo

Speed Slayer

Jet Sweep

Hi-Roller

'67 Pontiac Firebird 400

Rogue Hog

Super Comp Dragster

Shadow Jet

The Demon

'77 Plymouth Arrow Funny Car

Surf 'n Turf

Mig Rig

'62 Chevy Bel Air (Johnny Lightning)

Double Vision

Torpedo Jones

Custom VW Beetle

Astro Funk

'32 Ford Delivery

No Fear Race Car

Super Blitzen

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:40 am

Great collection.The new ones look really cool.I was more of a Matchbox boy but was always jealous of my cousin because he collected Hot Wheels and they had better and faster wheels.I had a Thunderbirds 2 that I went on many space adventures in. :D
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:34 am

Wuh! What an awesome collection! :)
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:19 pm

If Eli and Oskar ever invade my house, I will distract them with my collection and sneak out the back!

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:28 am

a_contemplative_life wrote:Mongoose Funny Car (1969) Another terrible repaint? I can't remember.
Doesn't the whole metal shell tilt up from the plastic body underneath? I remember that I had a set of the "The Mongoose" and a blue car, "The Snake". "The Mongoose" was Tom McEwen and "The Snake" was his rival, Don Prudhome, both famous drag racers in the 70's. Hot Wheels capitalized on their rivalry with the set that I had. My brother and I both followed NHRA drag racing into early adulthood, and maybe it all started with those Hot Wheels.

On a side note, I found out that originally it was Don Prudhomme who was called The Snake. Then as the rivalry with Tom McEwen took shape, McEwen acquired the nickname The Mongoose. The NHRA put out the family-friendly story that Don Prudhomme was called The Snake because he was so fast off the line. The real story was that his nickname had absolutely nothing to do with motor sports. ;)
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:37 am

These are the cars you make by thinking of (reissues of the '60's originals).

There were other Mongoose/Snake sets that were rail dragsters

Return to “Off Topic”