82 films

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
dongregg

82 films

Post by dongregg » Sun May 07, 2017 8:30 pm

Who knew?

http://www.salon.com/2017/05/06/the-82- ... newsletter

The 82 rarely seen films Jonathan Demme wanted you to see

1. 55 Days at Peking
2. A.I. Artificial Intelligence
3. Ali: Fear Eats the Soul
4. Au Hasard Balthazar
5. Blackboards
6. Burn!
7. The Center
8. Chappaqua
9. The Childhood of a Leader
10. Children of Men
11. La Cienga
12. Coming Home
13. CQ
14. Crime & Punishment in Suburbia
15. Dragon Squad
16. Duck, You Sucker
17. The Elephant Man
18. Everything for Sale
19. A Field in England
20. Five Easy Pieces
21. The Flowers of St. Francis
22. Free In Deed
23. The Crazy Stranger
24. Go
25. Goodbye to Language
26. Greaser’s Palace
27. The War is Over
28. The Hill
29. The Hired Hand
30. Holy Smoke!
31. Jazz on a Summer’s Day
32. Jeff, Who Lives at Home
33. Kaili Blues
34. Kippur
35. Lamerica
36. Safe Journey
37. Limitless
38. Model Shop
39. Mon Oncle d’Amérique
40. Muriel
41. The Music Room
42. Mutant Girls Squad
43. The Mummy
44. Neon Bull
45. Nothing But a Man
46. Nowhere to Hide
47. The Oscar
48. The Passion of Joan of Arc
49. Petulia
50. Pray for Japan
51. Profound Desires of the Gods
52. Providence
53. The Pumpkin Eater
54. The Raid
55. Report of the Commissioner
56. Ride with the Devil
57. The River
58. River of Grass
59. Robin and Marian
60. Rockers
61. Romy and Michele’s High School Reunion
62. Rosewood
63. The Ruins
64. The Rundown
65. The Runner
66. Same Old Song
67. Seven Days in May
68. Silentium
69. Songs from the Second Floor
70. Stavisky
71. Stroszek
72. Suzhou River
73. Terraferma
74. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
75. This Is My Father
76. Time Stands Still
77. Tragedy of a Ridiculous Man
78. The Turin Horse
79. Warsaw Bridge
80. Wonder Boys
81. You Ain’t Seen Nothin Yet
82. Zatoichi
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

sauvin

Re: 82 films

Post by sauvin » Sun May 07, 2017 9:53 pm

I've actually seen a few of these.
dongregg wrote:A.I. Artificial Intelligence
Pinocchio with a "future technology" accent. Wonderful movie, but not particularly memorable.
dongregg wrote: Ali: Fear Eats the Soul
I'm not German, and so probably missed a lot of the movie's meat. Most of Europe is having problems with its middle Eastern immigrants ways that Americans don't understand. Against that kind of backdrop, this Harold & Maud movie wasn't quite as depressing (and, dare I say it, the lady in question is a doll in her own way...)
dongregg wrote:Children of Men
Postapocalyptic that ends on a vaguely hopeful note. I've never seen either Julianne Moore or Clive Owen do turkeys.
dongregg wrote:Crime & Punishment in Suburbia
Seen it, don't remember it but do remember having been moved by it.
dongregg wrote:The Elephant Man
If you've not seen this one, you just gotta! - but not before doing something important, like going to work or a social function. It won't leave you with dry eyes.
dongregg wrote:Holy Smoke!
Seen it, actually remember it. This one's confusing; as I understand it, a "deprogrammer" doesn't usually get involved with his charges.
dongregg wrote:The Mummy
Which one? :lol:
dongregg wrote:The Ruins
Recommended. Some earlytwentysomethings are besieged atop a mesoamerican ruin by a carnivorous vine. What captivated me in this film is how the protagonists slowly came to realise fully the nature of their plight, their efforts to combat it and the entirely plausible social dynamics.
dongregg wrote:The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
Which one? :lol: I've never actually seen the appeal in this franchise (to me, it's mind-numbingly boring), but there's apparently quite a bit of content and context to analyse.

I wonder, WTI members, what little-seen movies would you recommend, and why?
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Mon May 08, 2017 7:43 pm

A good list with a bunch of titles for me to look for, since I have never seen or even heard of some of these. :)

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Mon May 08, 2017 8:49 pm

gattoparde59 wrote:A good list with a bunch of titles for me to look for, since I have never seen or even heard of some of these. :)
Same here. The warning is that this is ONE guy's list of Movies You Gotta See (MYGS (tm)), and some of the ones on this list that I actually remember seeing aren't movies I'd feel anybody Gotta See.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Mon May 08, 2017 9:04 pm

sauvin wrote:
gattoparde59 wrote:A good list with a bunch of titles for me to look for, since I have never seen or even heard of some of these. :)
Same here. The warning is that this is ONE guy's list of Movies You Gotta See (MYGS (tm)), and some of the ones on this list that I actually remember seeing aren't movies I'd feel anybody Gotta See.
I'm sort of randomly checking them on IMDb, and so far none are really appealing. Okay, time permitting (it doesn't), I'll start my own MYGS list.

A thought -- maybe some of these not many people have seen for good reason.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Mon May 08, 2017 11:11 pm

dongregg wrote:
sauvin wrote:
I'm sort of randomly checking them on IMDb, and so far none are really appealing. Okay, time permitting (it doesn't), I'll start my own MYGS list.

A thought -- maybe some of these not many people have seen for good reason.
Our own cherished LTROI has also not been widely seen; think it lounged on the nearby Big City's screens for all of maybe a week, and a couple people I've run into who have seen it called it "dumb". There are some MYGS in that list, but I'm confused by how they were selected. Moreover, I've seen quite a few movies over the years that almost nobody's ever even heard of. Bad movies, bad distribution or promotion? Bad release dates because they shared marquee time with blockbusters?

Or, just maybe, some of the movies I've seen over the years impacted me strongly simply because they resonated so strongly with the particular kinds of heavens or hells I've personally experienced, but would leave most other folk unaffected.

Return to “Off Topic”