About Buffy

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
dongregg

About Buffy

Post by dongregg » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:56 pm

Let's see if this works. If not, I'll delete the topic.

http://www.salon.com/2017/03/11/slaying ... newsletter
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

ltroifanatic

Re: About Buffy

Post by ltroifanatic » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:45 am

A few months ago at our local watering hole I was eavesdropping on three woman talking about their relationships.My jaw dropped when one of them said that her husband hits her "when she deserves it".My jaw hit the table as her two friends agreed with her.Has society so thoroughly indoctrinated half of the worlds population that the victims agree to be victims? :cry:
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:22 am

ltroifanatic wrote:A few months ago at our local watering hole I was eavesdropping on three woman talking about their relationships.My jaw dropped when one of them said that her husband hits her "when she deserves it".My jaw hit the table as her two friends agreed with her.Has society so thoroughly indoctrinated half of the worlds population that the victims agree to be victims? :cry:
I should most devoutly hope not, but there are a few such women. I can't say with any real confidence I've figured out what their deal is, but often have a strong impression that some women seek out abusive relationships because it's all they've ever known. They can't operate in what most people would call a "normal" environment because they don't know what the rules are, where the boundaries are, what their limits, rights or responsibilities are, and so on. It'd be an awful lot like most of us trying to figure out how to get along and fit into a culture on the other side of the world so foreign to what we grew up with that we can't even figure out when and where it's safe to sneeze without getting yelled at or hauled off to jail.

I ran across something a while ago, and can't find it: in an interview, Wheedon was asked why he cast so many young women in such strong roles, or words to such general effect, and his response basically amounted to "Because people still feel a need to ask such questions".
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:12 pm

sauvin wrote:
ltroifanatic wrote:A few months ago at our local watering hole I was eavesdropping on three woman talking about their relationships.My jaw dropped when one of them said that her husband hits her "when she deserves it".My jaw hit the table as her two friends agreed with her.Has society so thoroughly indoctrinated half of the worlds population that the victims agree to be victims? :cry:
I should most devoutly hope not, but there are a few such women. I can't say with any real confidence I've figured out what their deal is, but often have a strong impression that some women seek out abusive relationships because it's all they've ever known. They can't operate in what most people would call a "normal" environment because they don't know what the rules are, where the boundaries are, what their limits, rights or responsibilities are, and so on. It'd be an awful lot like most of us trying to figure out how to get along and fit into a culture on the other side of the world so foreign to what we grew up with that we can't even figure out when and where it's safe to sneeze without getting yelled at or hauled off to jail.

I ran across something a while ago, and can't find it: in an interview, Wheedon was asked why he cast so many young women in such strong roles, or words to such general effect, and his response basically amounted to "Because people still feel a need to ask such questions".
My mind runs to the existential anxiety that comes with making choices about one's life.

"The devil you know is better than the devil you don't know."

I read that the most rapidly increasing category of people falling below the poverty line is households run by single (or unattached) women. And then there's my own idea that unsocialized men are brutes. Or is that Camille Paglia's idea?
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:24 pm

dongregg wrote: "The devil you know is better than the devil you don't know."
This.
dongregg wrote: And then there's my own idea that unsocialized men are brutes. Or is that Camille Paglia's idea?
When I was a young man of, say, 25 or so, one of my so-called friends had a habit of beating the crap out of his girlfriend. It was something new to my experience - I'd never theretofore known or suspected there were such men. My landlord and neighbour at the time had known that man's family for most of her 45 years or so, and was only able to observe philosophically that "the apple never falls far from the tree".
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

Return to “Off Topic”