Scam season

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
Drakeule

Scam season

Post by Drakeule » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:06 pm

That time of the year guys. In two days people tried to call me with scams. Luckily the first one that called literally had "reported as scam" on the caller ID. Today was an elaborate tail of how I was going to be sent $10200 to western union and all I had to do was pay a $200 tax. Note that grants aren't taxed... Oh well, guess my luck isn't as good as the year I won 1 million twice in two weeks. :D Anyway, don't fall for this crap guys. If it's too good to be true it always is.

JToede

Re: Scam season

Post by JToede » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:42 pm

I keep getting calls saying I owe the IRS, maybe that Nigerian Prince will come through with that money.
Oh well, I haven't seen anybody joining up and posting links of "Great Sales on Cool Things" or new and latest fashion in clothing on WTI.
Veni, Vidi, volo in domum redire.

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:16 am

We got an IRS scam call last year. There was a piece in the news a month or two about how they raided one of these places and arrested a bunch of people but I can't remember what country they were in.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:39 am

We simply don't answer the phone anymore. When the house phone rings, we let it go. If the caller leaves a message and the phone number looks legimate, we call back. But we ignore all else.

Yet even with that I am getting more scam or spam calls on my cell. My handy gets calls from a place that always starts off with a gleeful voice saying I've won a cruise vacation... :click:

krmujn0831

Post by krmujn0831 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:53 am

Try the app "Mr Number." It will block all calls that are not in your personal contact list.
Into a person,
Absolutely free
From thoughts and emotions,
Even the tiger finds no room
To insert its fierce claws.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:04 am

Not so fast. Everything isn't a scam. I've got:

52 time-shares
17 cruises (I only have to get there)
I sent only $1000.00 to a prince in Nigeria and am waiting on a big check.
Sears has twice replaced my Sears storm windows at a good price.
Also replaced/redone: floors, cabinets, tile, roof, paint...

I got one call I couldn't understand. They asked when I was going to make a payment.

I told them I was saving so much on each purchase that I'll keep buying until I've saved enough to pay for all of it.

(Say goodnight, Gracie.)
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

EEA

Post by EEA » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:13 am

If is a number with a strange area code, I just don't answer it.

Drakeule

Post by Drakeule » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:35 am

It was a Washington DC number. They can do that now. The dead give away was asking for money. The bad thing is: they know allot about you. Your address and everything. Don't be fooled.

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:41 pm

gkmoberg1 wrote:We simply don't answer the phone anymore. When the house phone rings, we let it go. If the caller leaves a message and the phone number looks legimate, we call back. But we ignore all else.

Yet even with that I am getting more scam or spam calls on my cell. My handy gets calls from a place that always starts off with a gleeful voice saying I've won a cruise vacation... :click:
Yep. This is exactly what we do. And I've gotten that same cruise vacation call on my cell. Hmm...This isn't a friend of yours is it GK? :P
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:52 pm

I had a call from a heavily accented Indian (Asia) gentleman who claimed he worked for Microsoft. Apparently my PC had contacted Microsoft and told them that I had a potential security risk, all I had to do was to download a small file that would... and that's when I hung up.

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

Return to “Off Topic”