Wintertime Hobbies

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
a_contemplative_life

Re: Wintertime Hobbies

Post by a_contemplative_life » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:30 am

Jameron wrote:That looks pretty good.

I take it the hatches on the turret open up?

Hey, whatever happened to that huge wooden turret you were making?

Just the commander's hatch. I glued the loader's hatch closed because the hinges were really weak and they would've broke in no time.

I'm not sure what you mean by a wooden turret. Maybe you were thinking about something else?

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:30 am

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:39 am

Yummy looking! :)
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:59 am

Having some fit & finish issues with this model. Will need to do some more putty work after all the major panels are in place...

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:55 am

This looks to be very high quality plastic. Maybe it is simply the way the pictures appear, but my impression is that these are sturdy and well crafted parts.

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:30 am

gkmoberg1 wrote:This looks to be very high quality plastic. Maybe it is simply the way the pictures appear, but my impression is that these are sturdy and well crafted parts.
There's a lot of detail, but the plastic is very soft and some of the parts aren't fitting together very well. But it's Revell, so...

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:21 pm

My father passed away a long time back. It'll be twenty years in just a month. Amazing. Wow. That really is starling to me to realize and contemplate. - Um, what I want to get to is he was interested in modeling just as you are doing. He had an array of similar efforts to what you are doing here. I recall a Tiger tank that could be taken apart. We could look at the interior of the turret and where the different members of the tank's team would sit. And then also a much larger German WWII tank destroyer machine which gave me nightmares. And then a FW190 which could be opened up to see the cockpit and the engine - which was intensely intricate. But also, there was a very large B-36 which I do not think he ever completed. The parts for it were plastic but they were of a superior quality in both the casting and feel. Also a Titanic model - again with superior quality pieces. I don't think he completed that either. Your pictures and the detail of your work in these models reminds me of all this. Dang, I need to find out whatever became of what he built. I have no idea.

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:31 pm

gkmoberg1 wrote:My father passed away a long time back. It'll be twenty years in just a month. Amazing. Wow. That really is starling to me to realize and contemplate. - Um, what I want to get to is he was interested in modeling just as you are doing. He had an array of similar efforts to what you are doing here. I recall a Tiger tank that could be taken apart. We could look at the interior of the turret and where the different members of the tank's team would sit. And then also a much larger German WWII tank destroyer machine which gave me nightmares. And then a FW190 which could be opened up to see the cockpit and the engine - which was intensely intricate. But also, there was a very large B-36 which I do not think he ever completed. The parts for it were plastic but they were of a superior quality in both the casting and feel. Also a Titanic model - again with superior quality pieces. I don't think he completed that either. Your pictures and the detail of your work in these models reminds me of all this. Dang, I need to find out whatever became of what he built. I have no idea.
Well, they probably went the way of all plastic models over time...destruction. Although, I still have some 1:24 scale tank models (including a Tiger with interior) in a box in the basement, and a big Guillows Stearman biplane that Dad gave me when I was little. Maybe I'll dig those out & share some pics if you're interested.

The great thing about plastic models is that you can usually still find kits around to build a new one, if you really liked one you made before. Like a recipe, in this sense they participate in a kind of immortality.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:38 pm

a_contemplative_life wrote:...The great thing about plastic models is that you can usually still find kits around to build a new one, if you really liked one you made before. Like a recipe, in this sense they participate in a kind of immortality.
Gah. Can Oskar and Eli get in on this?
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:42 pm

dongregg wrote:
a_contemplative_life wrote:...The great thing about plastic models is that you can usually still find kits around to build a new one, if you really liked one you made before. Like a recipe, in this sense they participate in a kind of immortality.
Gah. Can Oskar and Eli get in on this?
Well, model-building takes patience, and Eli seems to have that in spades, so... ;)

Return to “Off Topic”