Wintertime Hobbies

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
a_contemplative_life

Re: Wintertime Hobbies

Post by a_contemplative_life » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:24 am

gkmoberg1 wrote:Nicely done! That looks really sharp.

I did a 1:72 scale F-16 once, doing a similar job with the taping and spray paint.

It takes a good level of concentration to lay out the tape, make sure its secure and in the right spot, and then doing the spray applications.

How are you doing the underside? Is there is similar camo configuration?
The underside is completely light blue, so no camo there. I had to add a white strip on the fuselage (see below) and in doing so, accidentally got white overspray on the wings! So, I have to re-spray portions of the wings now. This is truly a pain and I wish I had taken a few more minutes to mask off all of the wings when I did the stripe.

Started applying decals last night. This thing has decals out the wazoo...even the propellors have decals. :shock:

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:00 am

Well I finally finished this thing. Turned out reasonably well despite several screw-ups along the way.

Here are a couple of wartime photographs showing the belly gun position and the nose gun position in this aircraft. Don't think I would've wanted to be in those spots with a Spitfire shooting at me...

Here's a YouTube video of the only flying example of the He-111 left in the world.
Apparently this was an exhausting plane to fly. It required constant input from the pilot to keep it on course, the cockpit was very noisy from having the engines on either side, and all that plexiglas made it kind of a hothouse. Still, a really interesting design for its time.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:21 am

Extraordinary! Really great craftsmanship.

Good video, too.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:07 am

You gotta admire those old He-111 pilots. I wonder how many were deaf by the time they retired.

ACL, is the cockpit in your model off-center as described in the video?

EDIT: It sure looks like it might be in the third photo of your model, above. :think:
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:48 am

PeteMork wrote:You gotta admire those old He-111 pilots. I wonder how many were deaf by the time they retired.

ACL, is the cockpit in your model off-center as described in the video?

EDIT: It sure looks like it might be in the third photo of your model, above. :think:
Yes, the nose glass is turned to starboard. It's kinda weird-looking from the front, since we're so used to everything being symmetrical.

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:02 am

This is just about finished. Need to add a clear gloss coat, a leather strap for the reins, screw on the back plate and permanently tack in the lampshade material.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:21 am

The lettering! I don't know how you can do such good work!
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:52 am

Great stuff.I'm always amazed at people who can do such detailed work.I've tried myself a couple of times but just can't do it.It usually ends up with me screaming something like "fit,fit why won't you fit?".then something gets broken.
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:17 am

Think tiny brushes. ;)

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:49 am

wait...the driver... he looks like a someone we've heard of who wears a white wig :o

Return to “Off Topic”