Wintertime Hobbies

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
a_contemplative_life

Wintertime Hobbies

Post by a_contemplative_life » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:12 am

Got any?

I finally finished my Tamiya StuG III Ausf. B model. It's been sitting around the house for a dog's age (> 10 years!) so I finally decided I'd better build it, since it was a birthday gift and I'd feel guilty building a model I bought more recently before tackling it.

Other than making it a little muddy and worn, I really didn't do to much with the exterior. The model does have a partial interior which I finished out and painted, even though with most of the hatches closed, you really can't see it. It looks more or less like this one.

The Sturmgeschütz III (StuG III) assault gun was Germany's most produced armoured fighting vehicle during World War II. It was built on the chassis of the Panzer III tank, replacing the turret with a fixed superstructure. It was initially intended as a armoured light gun for direct-fire support for infantry.

The Ausf. B model was produced by Alkett from June 1940-May 1941 and mounted the 75 mm KwK 37 L/24 short-barreled tank gun for close support, firing a high-explosive shell.

This guy in the UK has been rebuilding a StuG III Ausf. C/D. Imagine trying to find parts for something like this. :shock:

gattoparde59

Re: Wintertime Hobbies

Post by gattoparde59 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:10 am

Bought a 1/700 waterline model of the SMS Derfflinger a while back, then bought three other models in the same scale. I have not tried to build them yet. Intimidated by photo etch parts and by paint jobs like your sturmgeshutz. :shock: Also there are cats and I have trouble securing a cat free zone.

Otherwise accordion practice and writing, maybe a board game. I try to get out doors as much as I can in the winter.

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:55 am

Ship models are hard ... so many tiny parts. And I hate photo etched parts.

Do you have an airbrush?

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:36 pm

a_contemplative_life wrote:Ship models are hard ... so many tiny parts. And I hate photo etched parts.

Do you have an airbrush?
No airbrush. I figured that is what is used.

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:39 am

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:40 am

Models from winters past...

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:27 am

It does my heart good to see these beautifully crafted models. :wub:
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:20 am

A hobby of mine is naval models. There are 1:1200 scale ( one inch = one hundred feet ). I have many of these , mostly of WWII navies. I try to keep them in good shape.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:30 am

This is the WWII "pocket battleship" Graf Spee of the German navy. (Panzerschiffe Admiral Graf Spee) Notice the size difference!

Return to “Off Topic”