Wintertime Hobbies

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
gkmoberg1

Re: Wintertime Hobbies

Post by gkmoberg1 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:33 am

And this is a model of the U.S. Montana class battleship. Thankfully these were never built. The aircraft carrier was the key to naval warfare by the time these were started and so none were worked on very far.

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:52 am

Wow, they're so tiny! How do you even assemble them?

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:52 am

ACL your planes are amazing. I had a ME 109 hung from my ceiling using fishing line. And a Spitfire and a Zero. Long ago. I am sorry I do not have any pictures of them. I think they were 1:32 scale? Yours, though, are far more detailed than mine. Really great detail on each of these. Thanks!!

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:55 am

All my 1:1200s are metal. My father and I used to put them together and paint them. Most are of the "Superior" line at Alnavco.

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:57 am

dongregg wrote:It does my heart good to see these beautifully crafted models. :wub:
I have been building models since I was a kid. We used to go to a place called the Squadron Shop in Detroit. They had an amazing selection of models. The tank models in particular always fascinated me. The shop is now on line...

http://www.squadron.com

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:19 am

gkmoberg1 wrote:ACL your planes are amazing. I had a ME 109 hung from my ceiling using fishing line. And a Spitfire and a Zero. Long ago. I am sorry I do not have any pictures of them. I think they were 1:32 scale? Yours, though, are far more detailed than mine. Really great detail on each of these. Thanks!!
They're both 1/24 scale, so that gives you much greater detail. The Bf109 is a Trumpeter kit, which was the first of that brand I've done and it was an excellent kit.

We used to have planes hanging all over our bedrooms. Did you ever build any of the Aurora Prehistoric Scenes or monster kits? They always held a special interest to me. This guy has a huge collection...

http://www.tylisaari.com/prehistoricscenes/ps.html

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:21 am

gkmoberg1 wrote:All my 1:1200s are metal. My father and I used to put them together and paint them. Most are of the "Superior" line at Alnavco.
Those look like fun...and they don't take up much shelf space, which is a plus!

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:37 am

gattoparde59 wrote:Bought a 1/700 waterline model of the SMS Derfflinger a while back, then bought three other models in the same scale. I have not tried to build them yet. Intimidated by photo etch parts and by paint jobs like your sturmgeshutz. :shock: Also there are cats and I have trouble securing a cat free zone.

Otherwise accordion practice and writing, maybe a board game. I try to get out doors as much as I can in the winter.
I have a 1/700 waterline "under construction" ... heh. It's been in this state for a good five years. What I need is a spray paint setup. I used to have one but that was several lifetimes ago. Anyway, my goal is to paint this in a always lovely "battleship gray" , after seeing if I can find a suitable tint for the IJN forces of WWII.

Rats! My camera (which is my Kindle) needs to recharge before I can xfer the pic off of it... Rrrrrrrr.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:06 am

IJN Fuso. This was known as one of Japan's skyscraper battleships. It literally got taller over the decades because as advances were made to communication and so on, they added upwards on this and Fuso's sister ship.

Both were sunk by the US Navy during battle in 1944.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:12 am

gattoparde59 wrote: Also there are cats and I have trouble securing a cat free zone.
Here is Snickers. Snickers is content to destroy models of all sorts, whether assembled or not. She would like to take on model ship destruction as her winter hobby.

She also keeps the house free from vampires.

Return to “Off Topic”