"Stranger Things"

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
gkmoberg1

Re: "Stranger Things"

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:39 pm

I've finished episode #6. Looks like #7 is going to jump and shifts us to an adventure with El. Sort a significant moment, though, for the group at the end of #6... cliffhanger of doom!

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:02 pm

I am up to episode #9. All of #7 was fun to watch. #8 was, like #6, pretty scary.

A major issue, for me, was that Bob the Brain out of the blue states that the computer system is written in BASIC. Oh? Really?! Where did that come from? But the the BASIC that they types into the computer does not lot anything like the BASIC i learned back then. Looks a lot more like the VisualBasic you see today.... hmmmm

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:28 am

gkmoberg1 wrote:...A major issue, for me, was that Bob the Brain out of the blue states that the computer system is written in BASIC. Oh? Really?! Where did that come from? But the the BASIC that they types into the computer does not lot anything like the BASIC i learned back then. Looks a lot more like the VisualBasic you see today.... hmmmm
Aha! Yet another logical inconsistency. :D
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:30 am

Episode #9 winds up a bit too well. I see a set of things dropped across the final episodes that I am sure are there for bridge building for ST3. But the major elements are all tidied up and placed gently on a shelf. It feels a bit too cleaned up. Yet it was a good season and terrific to see the actors together.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:50 am

Season 2, like Season 1, has the kids making sense of the monsters through the Monster Manual book of their favorite game Dungeons & Dragons.

Scarily enough, I still have this book. Got this in, oooohhhh, ummm, 1979 or so. My friends and I played this game constantly for years. It's amazing this book still have a cover and the pages inside.

Here is the inner cover page. Whew-scanning is fun.

Okay, in the first season, they were calling the monster the Demogorgon. Here is its entry.

And in Season 2 they call another monster the Mind Flayer. Here is its entry. I think we briefly are shown this page during one of the episodes.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:49 am

I managed to be a little older when D&D was the rage. My loss. :(
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:08 am

I also regret having not been the right age for this when it reached its heyday. I am absolutely convinced I would have been hooked. My only connection of any kind to this is in playing and thoroughly enjoying the original text-based game called Zork. I obtained the Fortran source code from a friend at Berkeley, and proceeded to write my own version. I was soon immersed in the complexities, and frustrated by the limitations of a text-based adventure game. By the time the graphics were good enough to be worth the effort (Myst, Riven, etc.) I had moved on to other interests. That, however, did not stop me from playing these fabulous games. I tended to like this type as opposed to the shoot-em-up, kill the bad guy types of interactive games.
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

JToede

Post by JToede » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:10 am

Rolled a 20 with my 2 handed sword +10.El Kaboom!
But the art work has improved since the 70s.
Veni, Vidi, volo in domum redire.

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:02 am

Great show. My son and I recently finished the second series and thoroughly enjoyed it.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:03 pm

JToede wrote:Rolled a 20 with my 2 handed sword +10.El Kaboom!
Definitely a hit! For a large-sized opponent, the damage inflicted is "3d6", meaning the sum of three rolls of a six-sided die. For a small or medium sized opponent, damage inflicted is "1d10", meaning the roll of a single 10 sided die.
JToede wrote:But the art work has improved since the 70s.
A bit. Some of the artwork in this edition is pretty sad. Yet other parts of it were, well, let's say my mother would not have approved.

Return to “Off Topic”