I'm a little bit like Eli

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
intrige

Re: I'm a little bit like Eli

Post by intrige » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:29 am

Good times :)
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

Jedi Apprentice

Post by Jedi Apprentice » Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:44 am

One issue I have with your statement is the way you apparently refer to Eli as someone who chose to be what he is, which couldn't be further from the truth: Eli is someone who had his life, mortality, and even sexuality taken away by force. He considers himself as "nothing", not because he has decided so, but because he believes that it is the cruel fate God has planned for him, since he is evidently not happy seeing himself as a monster that cannot even be considered as something masculine or feminine (in this case, his pronouns would simply be "it"). On the other hand, you have chosen to be what you are by pure choice, without anyone forcing you to adopt that way of life. Eli's identity issue is not something that should be taken as inspiration for self-described "queer" people, but as something that makes the character more tragic and removed from his humanness.. Of course, that doesn't mean you can't identify with Eli in other aspects. Maybe you should just take as "queer inspiration" a character who changed their sexuality by their complete will.
Have a good life

intrige

Post by intrige » Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:08 am

Jedi Apprentice wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:44 am
One issue I have with your statement is the way you apparently refer to Eli as someone who chose to be what he is, which couldn't be further from the truth: Eli is someone who had his life, mortality, and even sexuality taken away by force. He considers himself as "nothing", not because he has decided so, but because he believes that it is the cruel fate God has planned for him, since he is evidently not happy seeing himself as a monster that cannot even be considered as something masculine or feminine (in this case, his pronouns would simply be "it"). On the other hand, you have chosen to be what you are by pure choice, without anyone forcing you to adopt that way of life. Eli's identity issue is not something that should be taken as inspiration for self-described "queer" people, but as something that makes the character more tragic and removed from his humanness.. Of course, that doesn't mean you can't identify with Eli in other aspects. Maybe you should just take as "queer inspiration" a character who changed their sexuality by their complete will.
Have a good life
Yes Eli was forced in every way possible, physicially. But he could have still identefied as a boy, or a girl, after. People do, long before they get feelings for someone. Long before they muture. I didn't choose any of my gender stuff either. What I chose was how I went about it, coming out and all that intales. I'm almost 30 now and I still feel that way, I would not choose it, for sure. Not that it is all bad or anything, but life would be a bit simpler without this gender identity. We all take what we know and interpit Eli how we see fit. This is how I saw it. We all have bias. And that's ok :)

intrige

Post by intrige » Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:25 am

I came across this old thread while looking for new posts from the holidays, I am a bit late ;) And I just wanted to say I still feel the same. But now that I am older I am far more comfortable, nuanced and confident in my identity. I do wanna correct myself and say that the people in my life have adapted to the pronouns. And that at least with my gender identity, it is mostly a non-issue. It's just my life, and I don't think about it that much. How I present has less meaning to me now than it did when I came out. But I would say despite my natural femininity that I dress mostly neutral. Ya know, pants, sweathers and jackets and all that. I'll be 30 in less than a month, but I am pretty confident in saying that I think my gender identity is here to stay :) There are so many other parts of me that I focus more on, and I am still muturing as an adult. 2023 I gotta say, kicked my butt life wise and mental health wise. I have learned a lot, and am settling alone now, I think this year is gonna be better. But if anyone wanted an update on this stuff, here it is.

Anyway, happy new year :)

Return to “Off Topic”