Happy thanksgiving

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
metoo

Re: Happy thanksgiving

Post by metoo » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:45 pm

dongregg wrote:I was surprised to see the Black Friday sale in the book news this week.
Yes, this has been all around this year. But attempting to port Black Friday into a Swedish context is quite ridiculous, I think.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

EEA

Post by EEA » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:30 pm

I like Thanksgiving since it means to me spending time with my family. This year my mom didn't cook a turkey. My sister has been in and out of the hospital and has been now for a month in the hospital. I am thankful during Thanksgiving that my sister is still here and thinking positive and wishing her all the best so that she gets well and comes home.
I like Black Friday since sometimes there are good deals, I went yesterday and it was ok. I bought some movies and it was a pretty good deal. :).

intrige

Post by intrige » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:26 am

dongregg wrote:
intrige wrote:I know it's American Thanksgiving because after, Norwegian clothing stores as Black Friday sales all week! I am serious! :?

Sorry to spoil the fun, but this holiday is something from the states I would never celebrate if I ever lived there.
Dear Trige, not all Americans are pleased with the consumerism that is part of the holidays here. You mentioned Norwegian clothing stores, but I get the weekly book news from Adlibris bookseller (Swedish, not the Norwegian version). I was surprised to see the Black Friday sale in the book news this week.

But that doesn't lead me to post grumpy posts that throw a shadow on a country's positive traditions. Many of us take time at Thanksgiving to count our blessings as we sit down to eat with family who have gathered for this traditional meal, many who have driven or flown from far-flung parts of the country.

I have no opinion about whether you should take down your post or not, but doing so wouldn't count as a real retraction. I suggest that an apology would show that you have given it further thought.

I write this in the spirit of my great admiration and great affection for you.
OK! I have spent the past 5 hours trying to sleep thinking about this! Because believe it or not it actually turned out to be complected.

But first of all I will say that I am very sorry if I offended anyone and intend to take down the post. Especially to Nightrider. It was not my intention to offend anyone, and here is the complicated bit, why did I feel the need to state that at all? Well..

1. I think the native american history is so tragic and so unfair and when I came in the know of thanksgiving's true story I kind of felt sorry for all the blissful Americans who celebrated a massacre cover up. It's super tragic. It's kind of like, hmm, Us Norwegians having a special concurring event in our viking history we still celebrate, and most don't even know that let's say thousands of Scots were killed. I seriously don't think I would celebrate that holiday anymore. Spreading knowledge is something I enjoy doing, have people know, and then make a choice. It doesn't matter if I agree with that choice or not, as long as people are informed and have the opportunity to make said choice. Knowledge makes people less ignorant, knowledge gives people opinions. Knowledge gives choices.

2. I did not consider that since people have celebrated this holiday not in the knowing, all their associations with it is good food and family and good things. Traditions I know are deeply rooted in us and we find comfort in them. Especially those who bring families together. At the moment of the posting I did not consider that there is another side to this holiday. And that is what people made of it, and made it good. So maybe something good came out of the cover up after all?

3. I guess there is a tiny social justice worrier inside of me that actually very rarely comes out. Not a side I realize I am very proud of, but I don't intend to hurt anyone and am not shaming anyone for for example enjoying this holiday.

Again, I did not intend to hurt anyone's feelings, and I apologize. Ya'll have a happy thanks giving!!

Here, have a turkey:
It's looks sad because I am very sorry!! :roll:
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:41 am

Count me as one who was not offended. :think:

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

Drakeule

Post by Drakeule » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:22 am

Just going to give this a bump. Happy turkey day, again. Hope those who participate have a good day.

EEA

Post by EEA » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:32 am

Happy Thanksgiving. :)
This year the turkey that my mom cooked was pretty tasty :mrgreen:

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:01 pm

Same to you folks. Turkey was excellent! Now it's time for turkey leftovers.

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:22 pm

Here’s hoping all of you have a blessed and happy Thanksgiving holiday.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:55 am

Happy holidays to one and all. And thanks, Trige, for the (2015) turkey and for your thoughtful posts! :wub:
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Return to “Off Topic”