backing... anyone hungry?

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
gkmoberg1

backing... anyone hungry?

Post by gkmoberg1 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:07 am

ImageHot Cross Buns by gkmoberg1, on Flickr

I've been backing yesterday and this evening. Yesterday was a triple layer strawberry cake with lemon butter frosting. Not the usual thing to be making but I had frozen strawberries to use up... so it happened. And this evening it's a dozen hot cross buns. These are from a book by David Bowers called 'Real Irish Food' (2012) that I have from the local library. Mmmm, they look good but are too hot yet to pop in my mouth. ... If you're in the area, stop by!

gattoparde59

Re: backing... anyone hungry?

Post by gattoparde59 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:00 am

Now that I see the picture I'm a little less confused. (backing-baking) ;)

Nice touch with the candle! Tonight I'm making pizza with dates and prosciutto (or is it figs?) The figs will go into muffins I think.

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:00 pm

baking/backing ...oops! My childhood is showing. Both in that my spelling in English over 'k' or 'ck' has always tripped me up and that I grew up in the strongly Mennonite farmlands to the west of where you are. Auf Deutsch, 'baking' is 'backen'. :oops:
gattoparde59 wrote:Tonight I'm making pizza with dates and prosciutto (or is it figs?) The figs will go into muffins I think.
Sounds really good! Post us a picture :wub:

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:28 pm

gkmoberg1 wrote:baking/backing ...oops! My childhood is showing. Both in that my spelling in English over 'k' or 'ck' has always tripped me up and that I grew up in the strongly Mennonite farmlands to the west of where you are. Auf Deutsch, 'baking' is 'backen'. :oops:
gattoparde59 wrote:Tonight I'm making pizza with dates and prosciutto (or is it figs?) The figs will go into muffins I think.
Sounds really good! Post us a picture :wub:
Until you mentioned living in the U.S. (in discussions about LTROi in NY), I imagined you were German or Austrian. Just certain turns of phrase. Now I know. :)
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:11 pm

Yes, I am a rural Lancaster Country escapee. ssshhhh!!!
(I am not Amish. And there are were many Amish in the farmlands of Lancaster Country. This video, though, takes me back to all that.)

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:40 pm

Pizza with dates and prosciutto. After eating it I think I prefer figs, or maybe more toppings? :think:

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:06 pm

Today it is 32℃ , which means Why not turn on the oven and do some baking?

Here goes!

First, I made a batch of scones. I put in some chocolate bits because, well, I wanted to.

Then, I made a batch of kanelkakor (Swedish cinnamon cookies)

And next up will be a batch of citronsmåkager (lemon wafers)

<no picture just yet!>

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:23 pm

Nothing says summer time quite like hot buttered scones.

Nisa

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:02 am

Yum!
My daughter made chocolate chip cookies a few days ago...they were great!

JToede

Post by JToede » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:55 pm

I worked in a "backery" for a couple of years, I mostly made donuts. I was sick of them after 3 weeks.
Veni, Vidi, volo in domum redire.

Return to “Off Topic”