Love those Quadrotors!

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
dongregg

Re: Love those Quadrotors!

Post by dongregg » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:04 pm

Aww. Even better than puppies and kittens! I love it!
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:23 am

Now this one is a bit more artistic...and haunting. This was filmed by the same model DJI Drone I have. Watch out for the birds. :D
[Notice the keel marks the boat made in the mud as the tide flowed in and out. (At 2:37) :geek: ]
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:32 am

what do you do if your $$$ drone plops down into the midst of a mud flat? do you go buy another done, a bigger model, to go lift it out?

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:18 am

gkmoberg1 wrote:what do you do if your $$$ drone plops down into the midst of a mud flat? do you go buy another drone, a bigger model, to go lift it out?
Hey, I like that image!

As a kid who won't grow up, my favorite quadrotor vid is where the guy fitted his with a Roman candle and attacked his friend. There was one hit, as I recall.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:23 am

gkmoberg1 wrote:what do you do if your $$$ drone plops down into the midst of a mud flat? do you go buy another done, a bigger model, to go lift it out?
No risk, no reward. :D

But yeah, I've had a few close calls where the life of my drone flashed before my eyes. :D No crashes yet, but I'm a bit of a coward. The guys that crash get the best footage, for the most part. (And there are at least two videos out there of people rescuing their drones out of trees with other drones--with twisted coat hangers attached.)

Then, there are these guys, who left their sanity behind long, long ago:
(Action starts at about 1:00) Dongregg will probably recognize some of these buildings.
EDIT: Drone rescue
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:08 pm

This reminds me of the Rodney Dangerfield joke about how he bought him self the prefect second car... a tow truck.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:46 pm

Great vids! Great flying in Atlanta!

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:38 pm

We have a hummingbird feeder outside our bedroom sliding doors to the deck. Recently, there have been two very feisty males who have been battling fiercely over which one of them owns it. Great fun to watch.
Recently, as nerds are prone to do, I sent my drone up to blow the leaves off our solar panels (not a sentence you see often). :D When I was as done as I could be, I took it up to about 80 feet and just hovered there for a few minutes, experimenting with the camera, when what to my surprise, our two hummingbirds came up to investigate. Now, these little buggers are fast! (they can reach speeds of over 50 miles per hour sometimes) But I could see that they were clearly interested in my drone, so I circled slowly and kept the camera running, hoping to get a little footage. Most of it was against the backdrop of the trees, so they are almost invisible, but in one and only one instance, I got exactly 4 video frames of one of them against the sky (and that's at 60 frames/sec.) Here's one of them: (You have to click on the picture to see him. He's in the upper right corner, flying to the left. ) For some reason, the picture is truncated if you don't look at it on flickr.

ImageHummingbirdAttack04 by Peter Mork, on Flickr

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:47 am

Yep. Got it.

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:51 am

This one is interesting for historical reasons alone. The same group that dove the Atlanta buildings, but in the Chernobyl exclusion zone. :o
And this one:

Return to “Off Topic”