Meanwhile in Sweden...

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
PeteMork

Re: Meanwhile in Sweden...

Post by PeteMork » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:04 pm

dongregg wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:25 am
A cultural trait that may have helped limit covid-19 transmission.
Or maybe it means they just don't talk about it. :D
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

Siggdalos

Post by Siggdalos » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:26 pm

Tomas Alfredson will be competing in this year's season of På spåret—the most popular game show in Sweden—teamed up with artist and writer Ernst Billgren, as announced by SVT in September. The season starts on November 27.
Last edited by Siggdalos on Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:27 pm

Good window into Swedish culture via SVT.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

metoo

Post by metoo » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:47 pm

Today it is Shrove Tuesday, or as it is called in Sweden, Fettisdagen (literally Fat Tuesday).

This is the day when Swedes ingest enormous amounts of fettisdagsbullar, also called fastlagsbullar or semlor.

Here is a picture of one:

It is a plain wheat bun, spiced with cardamom, that is hollowed out and filled with almond filling. The filling is then covered with whipped cream, the initially cut off "lid" is placed at the top, and finally the bun is sprinkled with icing sugar.

If you try biting into one of these, you will inevitably get cream on your nose.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

Siggdalos

Post by Siggdalos » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:15 pm

TA and Ernst Billgren ended up making it to the semifinal of På spåret, in case anyone cares.

On a related note, JAL will be participating in the similar quiz show Alla mot alla with singer Nina Persson starting on March 22. I've never watched said show, but now I might have to find some time to watch it.
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

metoo

Post by metoo » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:55 pm

Siggdalos wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:15 pm
On a related note, JAL will be participating in the similar quiz show Alla mot alla with singer Nina Persson starting on March 22. I've never watched said show, but now I might have to find some time to watch it.
Two good reasons at once, thus.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

metoo

Post by metoo » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:20 am

It's Lucia day.

Here's the Swedish public service TV Lucia celebration.
It should be accessible worldwide.

https://www.svtplay.se/video/33382950/l ... n-tallberg

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:20 pm

metoo wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:20 am
It's Lucia day.

Here's the Swedish public service TV Lucia celebration.
It should be accessible worldwide.

https://www.svtplay.se/video/33382950/l ... n-tallberg

Thanks for posting this. I've had it on in the background while I was pottering around doing stuff, not understanding the words meant it wasn't distracting me and I could just soak in the atmosphere.
"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

Siggdalos

Post by Siggdalos » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:34 am

The giant straw goat that the city of Gävle puts up as a Christmas display every year got burned down again in the early morning hours yesterday after having survived would-be arson attempts for four years in a row.

Swedish news articles: International articles: Excellent Tom Scott video from 2016 about the "tradition":

Siggdalos

Post by Siggdalos » Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:29 pm

230 years ago today, one of the most famous events in Swedish history occurred when King Gustav III was assassinated* by Jacob Johan Anckarström at a masquerade ball in Stockholm.
Anckarström was born in approximately the same year as Eli (1762). The assassination plot is a central component of The Queen's Diadem (AKA Tintomara), a novel which influenced JAL and appears in LTROI as one of Håkan's favorite books, which he briefly looks in during his visit to the Stockholm Public Library.

* He was shot on March 16 but only died from his injuries two weeks later on March 29.

Return to “Off Topic”