Meanwhile in Sweden...

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
metoo

Re: Meanwhile in Sweden...

Post by metoo » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:14 am

gkmoberg1 wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:27 am
I was not expecting such a detailed showing of how to create the cutouts. I, for one, have no idea where I would find such aluminum strips. And I do not have half the tools he has. Yet I watched and took notes. I do wish, though, he had shown more detail on how he created the rounded head so well for the second cutter. I am sure he used the anvil horn, yet I wanted to see how he crafted the turn so well.
Well, if you check his other videos, you'll notice that they mostly are about blacksmithing. Few people have a power hammer in their hobby workshop...
gkmoberg1 wrote:
As for the recipe, this varies from the one I have. I will give this a try.
If you do, make sure to taste the spicy liquid before adding the flour!
gkmoberg1 wrote:
Anyone else here do Holiday baking?
I plan on making some Christmas bread ("Vörtbröd")...
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:33 am

I had been watching this one and saw this reply from you the next day. Too perfect!

metoo

Post by metoo » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:02 pm

gkmoberg1 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:33 am
I had been watching this one and saw this reply from you the next day. Too perfect!
Well, I did know that he had made this other video (I saw it yesteryear). However, the "Vörtbröd" I make is quite different from his.

More like this:
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:17 pm

:shock: Dessa är väldigt olika! Varför?

I'll put up pics of whatever I get into - baking-wise.

metoo

Post by metoo » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:07 pm

Why the difference, you ask.

Well, vörtbröd usually is baked into loafs, like the second example. Torbjörn Åhman, however, makes his using a “recipe from Bohuslän”. Perhaps the people of Bohuslän just prefer their bread made this way? Hönökaka, a variety of bread commercially available in Sweden, originates from Hönö in Bohuslän, and is similarly shaped.

However, I would think tradition is the real reason for the thin shape. In the old days baking wasn't done very often, so the bread had to last long, and drying the bread was a solution. Therefore the cakes were made thin, so they would dry out quickly. They were also made circular, with a hole in the center, allowing the bread to be hung on long poles under the ceiling.

metoo

Post by metoo » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:43 am

Or at least somewhat recently...

Here's a clip shot from the driver's cabin of a train trip around Lund in Sweden.
It was shot at the 10th of June 2019, starting around 4:30 in the morning.

Notice the lightness of the sky at this early hour. At this time of year it will never go completely dark, even here in southern Sweden.

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:27 pm

Looks like she got more than she bargained for.

We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

metoo

Post by metoo » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:04 am

Tut, tuuut!

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:28 am

BBC / Culture / BBC Reel
Video by Björn Nilsson , 13-Octoberg-2020

--> How the Swedes survive without small talk

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:25 am

A cultural trait that may have helped limit covid-19 transmission.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Return to “Off Topic”