Blood donation

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
Cricketsong

Re: Blood donation

Post by Cricketsong » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:43 pm

I imagine that being a very long, tiring, boring, lonely bike ride on the way back home.
-Chirp
"I'm always searching, for your figure to appear somewhere
On the opposite platform, in the windows along the lane
Even though I know you couldn't be at such a place."

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:14 am

Yes. As I walked the bike back home I imagined most of the people driving by me were thinking "Why isn't he *riding* the bike? " Yeh...

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:34 am

I donated blood again :D Yesterday on the way to work, I decided to go for it after almost chickening out.

I was careful not to mention Eli. Or Abby for that matter! But I wanted to. The staff was far too serious looking and I was worried, just as with last time, the donation would end up getting marked "for Eli" or something like that. So kept my mouth shut.

I did a double red cell donation this time. That's a new process for me. An OH MY GOD do you end up freezing. When they recycle your blood back to you, it's colder than it was on the way out and brrrrrrrrrrrrr, I was a Popsicle. Plus they do the processing in two batches. So after the first return (brrr!) they then do a second round. More brrrr!

Okay, I'm not trying to put anybody off with that. It was cold, but, hey, it was uncomfortable for what, 30 minutes? I lived. And i hope the donation is useful to somebody out there. ( Even Abby :wub: )

EEA

Post by EEA » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:02 am

:o Interesting.
Well I have never donated blood.

N.R. Gasan

Post by N.R. Gasan » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:29 pm

My hat's off to you, gk. While I have donated blood in the past, I haven't done so in quite a while. Needles. ::shudder:: I'm not as bad as I used to be, but I really dislike needles. Hate maybe isn't too strong a word. So while I consider myself a giving person, I draw the line at giving blood. :( Look, when someone comes up with a way to suck the blood right thru the skin -- painlessly -- then they can have all the blood they want. OK...maybe not all they want, but you know what I mean. :lol:

All kidding aside, donating blood is a very kewl thing to do. My sister donates regularly (braver than me, obviously). So if you don't mind needles and you have the time, there're worse ways to spend an afternoon.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:21 pm

Saw this today at a t-shirt website.

Always give 100%
unless you're donating blood

Muahahaha! And doesn't she look a bit like Abby?

http://www.snorgtees.com/always-give-10 ... ting-blood

EEA

Post by EEA » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:51 pm

:o

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:08 pm

gkmoberg1 wrote:Saw this today at a t-shirt website.

Always give 100%
unless you're donating blood

Muahahaha! And doesn't she look a bit like Abby?

http://www.snorgtees.com/always-give-10 ... ting-blood
I want one!

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:11 pm

I donated a unit of blood today! Hopefully it does somebody some good.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:43 pm

gkmoberg1 wrote:I donated a unit of blood today! Hopefully it does somebody some good.
I have donated many times over the years, but I gave it up after the last time. I'm a small man, and I'm blessed with having BP that's just a tick above hypostatic. When I donate, I've got 24 hours of feeling weak, dizzy and depressed (although I miss the free Kool-Aid).

I guess I'd still donate if I thought it would be for Eli and Oskar. Yep. I would do that. Or I would donate 100% if, after infecting me, they let me live forever as a doddering old fool. Hey, that could be a fan fiction -- Turned when he was in his senescence, Donald wanders around Europe trying to find other old vampires to play dominos with. He is eventually apprehended when he nods off right after a meal.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Return to “Off Topic”