Blood donation

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
gkmoberg1

Blood donation

Post by gkmoberg1 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:02 pm

I did it! I donated blood today at an event set up by the American Red Cross.

I got a free t-shirt and store coupons as gifts. Plus I got to snarf all the orange juice and cookies that I wanted afterwards.

I told the attendant, a nurse, that my donation was for Eli. To make sure there was no confusion, I used the passed tense and said Eli had lived in Sweden. Thus my donation won't be actually labeled "for Eli" ... :roll:

I can go again at the end of August.

My only problem was that I rode my bicycle to the event. On the way back I was not feeling that well, so I walked the bicycle most of the way home (ca. 7km). It is a warm afternoon but not too bad.

I did not faint when I got off the table. That's what happened last time. Not so good. Hitting the hard floor, even if unconscious, hurts! This time I was ready and got back onto the table when the dizziness hit me. LOL!!

My blood pressure, after riding there on my bike, was 140/80. I suppose that is okay. It would not be good if that were my normal.

While laying on the table for the 6:30 minutes it took to give my unit donation, I was thinking about Tommy, wondering if/how I could use this experience for the screenplay I want to write in our FF area. Of course a trained nurse was performing the work, not Oskar's hungry barefoot little girlfriend, dressed in an over-sized yellow sun dress. So, yeh, it wasn't quite the same experience.

Nightrider

Re: Blood donation

Post by Nightrider » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:32 pm

gkmoberg1 wrote:
My only problem was that I rode my bicycle to the event. On the way back I was not feeling that well, so I walked the bicycle most of the way home (ca. 7km). It is a warm afternoon but not too bad.

I did not faint when I got off the table. That's what happened last time. Not so good. Hitting the hard floor, even if unconscious, hurts! This time I was ready and got back onto the table when the dizziness hit me. LOL!!

My blood pressure, after riding there on my bike, was 140/80. I suppose that is okay. It would not be good if that were my normal.
This sounds like a screenplay already! :lol:
I've given blood before and it's a quite a kick in the head. R & R is the best way to feel better after generous bloodletting. Good thing you did not pass out.
In any case...."Congratulations!" Now you know how Jocke felt....before his neck got twisted. :)
http://www.aspca.org/

Visit our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/WeTheInfected

Nobody understands...and of course...how could they?

Zeb

Post by Zeb » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:17 am

For years,i wanted to give blood,but my huge fear of needles and any sort of medical poking and prodding prevented me.Then in 2002 when i was beginning to come round to the idea i developed cancer-which instantly rules me out.

Huge amount of respect to you buddy and long may you help others to live.
Do or not do-there is no try.
Master Yoda

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:50 am

Thanks! But more importantly, I hope you are doing well, 10 years into a cancer diagnosis. Best wishes to you.

Zeb

Post by Zeb » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:16 am

gkmoberg1 wrote:Thanks! But more importantly, I hope you are doing well, 10 years into a cancer diagnosis. Best wishes to you.
Im fine now thanks,but you're the one saving lives.I have every respect for people like yourself who do it voluntarily for no reward.
Do or not do-there is no try.
Master Yoda

mackousko

Post by mackousko » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:35 am

Zeb wrote:
I have every respect for people like yourself who do it voluntarily for no reward.
Yes . Me too!

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:15 pm

gkmoberg1 wrote:I did it! I donated blood today at an event set up by the American Red Cross.

I got a free t-shirt and store coupons as gifts. Plus I got to snarf all the orange juice and cookies that I wanted afterwards.

I told the attendant, a nurse, that my donation was for Eli. To make sure there was no confusion, I used the passed tense and said Eli had lived in Sweden. Thus my donation won't be actually labeled "for Eli" ... :roll:
Very cool. :D

Extra points for dedicating your donation to Eli :mrgreen:

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:43 am

Thanks all!

It was hard to bring up Eli in a manner that would not think lead them to think I was making a donation for a particular person. I made certain that they understood that it was not to be marked "for Eli" in any manner. ... although I'm sure Eli would appreciate my thoughtfulness.

I'm sure they get donations all the time by folks who say "I'm doing this in memory of .... my late husband / my dog / my great aunt / etc. " - where the reference is passed-tense. I didn't know the right thing to say though, so after I opened my stupid mouth I had to make sure they didn't misunderstand. :think:

I'll do it again at the end of August. Or such is my planning.

SFTifoso

Post by SFTifoso » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:53 am

If you let them put the blood (at least the red blood cells) back into you, once you recovered, you would get a boost in physical endurance and strength. Kinda like a vampire. :twisted:

Actually, that's called blood-doping, and it's banned by many pro-sports organizations.
"It doesn't get easier, you just go faster" - Greg Lemond (cycling legend)

Return to “Off Topic”