Blood donation

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
gkmoberg1

Re: Blood donation

Post by gkmoberg1 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:02 am

I forgot to update this thread when I last donated, which was in early November.

I got this as part of an email from the Red Cross:
  • Thank you for giving blood with the American Red Cross. After first ensuring that local needs were met, your blood donation was sent to Georgetown University Hospital in Washington, DC to help a patient in need. Your donation is on its way to change lives.
Yay! Plus, I'm eligible to donate again in early January.

Kind of the opposite of what Eli does, huh? :think:

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:03 pm

gkmoberg1 wrote:Kind of the opposite of what Eli does, huh? :think:
So ... what you're saying is that you are an anti-Eli ... an ilE?

Do you think that if you and Eli actually met you would both disappear in a puff of un-smoke? Humour: c/o Dougles Adams

Edit - obvious typo is obvious

Last edited by Jameron on Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:16 am

Donated blood this afternoon. Turns out I still have type O Positive. Go figure. Bonus: they (the Red Cross) like me. Also, pulse was 58, and BP was 90/60.

They said I could come back again in a couple of months.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:12 am

I got this today in my in-box:
Thank you for giving blood with the American Red Cross on 9/2/2016. Your blood donation was sent to Mount Auburn Hospital in Cambridge, MA to help a patient in need.
I'm glad my donation has gone to a good use.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:37 am

Vampires all have the same blood type -- V negative. :mrgreen:

And as far as they are concerned, we all have "universal donor" blood type.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Marri Lightning

Post by Marri Lightning » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:50 am

What if the nurse had seen the movie LTROI and turned pale when you said it was for Eli XD would be hilarious

On a side note, I have a question about giving blood. When you do this, what size is the needle they use and where do they insert it? Is it a tiny one like when they draw blood at the doctor's office for examination (the needle that you barely feel a sting from)? Because if it's that minor, I might consider doing it if a future convenient opportunity arises.
*S...W...E...E...T
D...R......*

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:59 am

Yeah, it's the small gauge needle. Plus you get cookies and cherry cool-aid! :)
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:09 am

I do not know the gauge of the needle used. Whenever I have gone to a donation center, I have found they are very willing to discuss the process and answer questions.

Each time I have donated, they use the inside angle of my elbow. This is a spot where an artery is close to the surface.

Here's a FAQ from the Red Cross: http://www.redcrossblood.org/donating-b ... ation-faqs

Don't be afraid of being squeamish about the donation process. I certainly am! I am not excited either about needles. I have even told them that I am - and they help me out. Heck, I have fainted several times, before and after (not on the same occasion), so I have woken up several times on the floor with lots of people suddenly concerned about me. Awkward! But the way I handle that is to tell them "I am a fainter" and, again, they're willing to help out.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:27 am

Durn, GK, TMI. I'm sticking with the cookies and cherry cool-aid version! :lol:

Return to “Off Topic”