Matt Reeves To Direct "The Passage"

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
Tom

Matt Reeves To Direct "The Passage"

Post by Tom » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:53 pm

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... ves-179448
Matt Reeves is heading back to the world of vampires.

The thoughtful and intellectual director behind Let Me In, the remake of Swedish bloodsucker thriller Let the Right One In, has come aboard to develop and direct The Passage, Fox 2000’s adaptation of the novel by Justin Cronin. Ridley Scott is producing.

Fox 2000 picked up the rights for the adaptation as well as two possible sequels in a reported seven-figure deal in 2007. The novel was published in 2009.

The novel is set a hundred years in the future, where a government experiment to lengthen the human life span goes awry, unleashing a virus that physically and psychologically transforms people into vampires.

John Logan wrote the script when Scott was considering the project as a directing vehicle. Reeves, who wrote Let Me In and co-created Felicity with JJ Abrams, will oversee the rewrite when a new writer is brought in.

This is the second major project Reeves is involved with. Last week he signed on to write and direct an adaptation of the sci-fi short story 8 O’Clock in the Morning, which was the inspiration of the 1980s John Carpenter film They Live. 8 O’Clock is being made by Universal and Strike Entertainment.

armyofdorkness

Re: Matt Reeves To Direct "The Passage"

Post by armyofdorkness » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:14 am

Matt Reeves to misdirect what? Like I'm looking forward to anything but his retirement after LMI.

::obligatory hate buffer following::

I liked Cloverfield. Saying that requires the loss of more pride than i'd like. I need to throw up now.

cmfireflies

Post by cmfireflies » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:22 am

Boo! I hated Cloverfield so much that I now have an irrational hatred for Super 8 even though it has nothing to do with Reeves or Cloverfield.

And people are getting way sick of vampires. Might I suggest killer robots as the next overexposed Hollywood monster?
"When is a monster not a monster? Oh, when you love it."

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:35 am

Thoughtful and intellectual?
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

armyofdorkness

Post by armyofdorkness » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:41 am

I liked and hated Cloverfield. ::shamelessly on the fence::

rgh

Post by rgh » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:10 am

I did think Cloverfield was a better Godzilla movie than the 1998 Matthew Broderick version a few years ago. Admittedly, that's not a high bar.

Raven Eyes

Post by Raven Eyes » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:31 am

I admit to not liking Matt Reeves films so far, but hopefully this film turns out to be the right material for his directing style. Cloverfield, while I didn't like the film, did have some interesting stuff visually and the premise actually wasn't that bad - I just hated the writing and the characters. As for Let Me In I just felt that it was like comparing say Stephen King's Carrie to the De Palma film - too many liberties taken with the source material to remain true to the novel (anybody explain why the house in Carrie comes crashing down on her in the final scenes? Even the book didn't have that!) So maybe it was the wrong material for the director. Hopefully this is the right one for him. Everybody deserves a chance to get one film right sooner or later.

Tom

Post by Tom » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:21 am

Matt Reeves is very talented director, I am looking forward to seeing his new movies. :)

abner_mohl

Post by abner_mohl » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:22 am

I guess Reeves has found his specialty: monsters, vampires, scifi, and with the Passage a mash up of two of the genres, whats next, vampire giant monsters.
Raven Eyes wrote:I admit to not liking Matt Reeves films so far, but hopefully this film turns out to be the right material for his directing style. Cloverfield, while I didn't like the film, did have some interesting stuff visually and the premise actually wasn't that bad - I just hated the writing and the characters. As for Let Me In I just felt that it was like comparing say Stephen King's Carrie to the De Palma film - too many liberties taken with the source material to remain true to the novel (anybody explain why the house in Carrie comes crashing down on her in the final scenes? Even the book didn't have that!) So maybe it was the wrong material for the director. Hopefully this is the right one for him. Everybody deserves a chance to get one film right sooner or later.
I like the comparison to Brian DePalma, because like DePalma early in his career (Obsession, Dressed to Kill as examples), both imitated Hitchcock too much.

covenant6452

Post by covenant6452 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:07 am

I read the novel "The Passage" a month or two ago and enjoyed it quite a bit. The vampires are more animalistic, a tide of creatures swarming a post-apocalyptic walled desert compound every night. The fact that that the majority of the survivors are children or tweens should add to the horror, I said "should" because of all things being "Twilighted" these days.
While I didn't think his LMI was all that impressive I did enjoy Cloverfield, other than the overuse of the shaky-cam, so I will hold out and hope for the best. But if I see a trailer full of CGI vampires a'la "I am Legend", I will lose hope rapidly.
Du måste bjuda in mig...or else!

Return to “Off Topic”