Introduction thread

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
dongregg

Re: Introduction thread

Post by dongregg » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:52 pm

Let's see if I can make this work!
SpartanAltego wrote:... I ended up hunting down a subtitled version of the film on the net, and by the end it felt like I'd finally found something I didn't realize I'd been missing: validation that I wasn't the only person who had ever felt lonely, angry, and wishing for somebody - anybody at all - to come along and extend a hand. The hope that one day we'll step outside and begin our way on the path leading us to the Right One.
What a warm, heartfelt introduction. There is an echo of my own feelings and engagement with the film (especially), although I later read the novel and was able to see the play in New York and Texas with a few fellow members of the forum.
SpartanAltego wrote:... I hunted down the criminally sparse scraps of fanfiction I could find, greedy for more, and was pleased to find that what LtROI lacked in quantity of fan-created material it made up for in quality by a wide margin. Not surprising, really. It takes a special kind of spirit to really engage with LtROI on a personal level, and that kind of spirit led itself to artistic output. Of them all, it was a_contemplative_life/Adeimantus' seminal fan-works, with special note being given to The Hunters, and of course the excellent Once Bitten that really filled the niche I needed.
I, too, read the Ebert review and then forgot most of it for about four years. But I remembered the film by its evocative title – little else – when I saw that it was scheduled on Showtime, where I was able to watch it from the start. I was enchanted by the opening credits, the night snowstorm, the taxi ride. But I was in Eli/Lina's thrall when, at just past the 11-minute mark, Oskar turns to see her standing on the top shelf of the jungle gym. She cocks her head and asks (or demands), "What are you doing?"
SpartanAltego wrote:... I hope to contribute some modest pieces of writing in due time, but for now please be satisfied with this lengthy introduction, which hopefully has been an enjoyable use of your time to read through. My infection was dormant for many years, but it's finally come back, more aggressive than ever. It's never felt so good to be so sick.
In our Fan Fiction section you will find many more engaging and moving stories, and I genuinely hope that your need for the children's company will encourage you add your own stories.
:wub:
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

SpartanAltego

Post by SpartanAltego » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:09 pm

dongregg wrote:Let's see if I can make this work!

In our Fan Fiction section you will find many more engaging and moving stories, and I genuinely hope that your need for the children's company will encourage you add your own stories.
:wub:
Thank you for the welcome! It's a little late for any NaNoWriMo shenanigans at this stage of the month...but a Christmas miracle, perhaps, is in the cards. I even have a name for it. "Let the Long Night End." It takes place during 1985, and tracks the course of a year through to New Year's Day, 1986. To say too much more might spoil. If there are any interested collaborative thinkers or proofreaders, I would love to have your experience on hand. :)

Thank you again.
"The dark is patient, and it always wins. But its weakness lies in its strength: a single candle is enough to hold it at bay. Love is more than a candle. Love can ignite the stars." - Matthew Stover

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:59 pm

Quite an intro, Spartan. Glad to see the infection found you again. Welcome.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:21 am

SpartanAltego wrote:Thank you for the welcome! It's a little late for any NaNoWriMo shenanigans at this stage of the month...but a Christmas miracle, perhaps, is in the cards. I even have a name for it. "Let the Long Night End." It takes place during 1985, and tracks the course of a year through to New Year's Day, 1986. To say too much more might spoil. If there are any interested collaborative thinkers or proofreaders, I would love to have your experience on hand. :)

Thank you again.
When you get something, reach out on a PM to members. E-mail address required for exchanging parts (or all) of stories and marked replies.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:38 am

Whoa! A relapse case. Thanks for that great intro Spartanaltego. :)

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

SpartanAltego

Post by SpartanAltego » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:34 am

Once again, thanks to everyone for the warm welcome so far. And yes, I most certainly am a relapsed fan. :D
"The dark is patient, and it always wins. But its weakness lies in its strength: a single candle is enough to hold it at bay. Love is more than a candle. Love can ignite the stars." - Matthew Stover

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:05 am

Welcome back! We FF writers are eagerly awaiting possible new blood and new inspiration. I think there's a bit of each of us in your very thoughtful introduction.

It has been a while since I finished my series, but recently I have actually given a bit of thought to adding a bit more to our beloved couple's journey toward happiness. Perhaps continuing after LTODD...
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

Aidan92Ford

Post by Aidan92Ford » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:58 am

Hello there! How are you? Im newbie there:)

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:19 am

Hi aidan92ford. Welcome to the forum! You've landed on a site where you can share your ideas, feelings, and, if you're inclined, your stories about LTROI. :D

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:42 pm

Aidan92Ford wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:58 am
Hello there! How are you? Im newbie there:)
Welcome to the forum. Hope you have fun poking around, and I look forward to reading your posts🙂

Return to “Off Topic”