Last book(s) you read?

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
EEA

Re: Last book(s) you read?

Post by EEA » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:11 am

Begin The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters. So far I like the mystery sorrounding the story.

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:28 am

Bloody Mary

Post by Bloody Mary » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:48 pm

EEA wrote:
Bloody Mary wrote:
EEA wrote:Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann and Tipping the Velvet by Sarah Waters.
Was Tipping the Velvet good? I saw the movie, but thought the whole middle bit with prostitution was pretty pulpy, and there didn't seem to be much chemistry between Nan and Flo, since that relationship came toward the end - there wasn't much time to root for it. The main reason I wanted Nan with Flo is that Flo wasn't Kitty.
The book was ok. I enjoyed the first part, but did not enjoy the second part which dealt with the prostitution. That part of the book made me not care about Nan. The third part deals with Flo and Nan's relationship though I feel that it is too short. If you read the book, I would recommend reading the first part, skipping the second part, and just read the third part.
Thanks for the reply. That sounds quite similar to the movie. It was frustrating that it spent so much time building up Nan/Kitty and so much less on Nan/Flo. I'll look into it.
"Do not go gentle into that good night . . . Rage, rage against the dying of the light." -Dylan Thomas

EEA

Post by EEA » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:16 am

Fingersmith by Sarah Waters. Really enjoyed this book, and even saw the mini-series and movie based on the book. :)

Bloody Mary

Post by Bloody Mary » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:58 am

EEA wrote:Fingersmith by Sarah Waters. Really enjoyed this book, and even saw the mini-series and movie based on the book. :)
Do you mean The Handmaiden as well as the BBC adaptation? I'm looking forward to the Korean version when I can get a copy, and have seen the BBC one. Gosh, the theme music is beautiful. It almost makes the movie. :wub:
"Do not go gentle into that good night . . . Rage, rage against the dying of the light." -Dylan Thomas

EEA

Post by EEA » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:27 am

Yes, there both excellent adaptations of Fingersmith. I finished the book in two days. :)
Right now I am continuing to read another one of her books The Little Stranger.

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:38 am

EEA

Post by EEA » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:38 am

When We Rise by Cleve Jones.

EEA

Post by EEA » Wed May 10, 2017 5:41 pm

The Book of the Night Women by Marlon James.

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Thu May 11, 2017 3:30 pm

Hell in the Holy Land: World War I in the Middle East, By David R. Woodward.

Short history that I read in part because the ultimate Allied objective was the now infamous Syrian city of Aleppo.

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

Return to “Off Topic”