Last book(s) you read?

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
EEA

Re: Last book(s) you read?

Post by EEA » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:15 pm

The House of Ulloa by Emilia Pardo Bazan.
Started reading The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend by Katarina Bivald. It's pretty funny. :lol: :mrgreen:

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:34 am

Nothing But the Truth by Avi. This is a quick read, easy for kids, and gives anyone a lot to think about.

My daughter and I loved Avi's book The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle. We read it to each other Saturday mornings in the parking lot outside the local gym, waiting for my son / her brother to be done with his hour.

EEA

Post by EEA » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:39 am

About to begin The Loney by Andrew Michael Hurley.

Bloody Mary

Post by Bloody Mary » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:17 am

dongregg wrote:Fifty pages into one of the most delightful novels I've ever encountered -- Nobody's Fool, by Richard Russo, 1993. :D
Aren't we going to hear what's delightful about it?

My last book was Neverwhere, a Neil Gaiman fantasy about a bored office worker who helps an injured girl and ends up dragged into an underworld beneath London.
"Do not go gentle into that good night . . . Rage, rage against the dying of the light." -Dylan Thomas

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:43 am

Bloody Mary wrote:
dongregg wrote:Fifty pages into one of the most delightful novels I've ever encountered -- Nobody's Fool, by Richard Russo, 1993. :D

My last book was Neverwhere, a Neil Gaiman fantasy about a bored office worker who helps an injured girl and ends up dragged into an underworld beneath London.
... and was it engaging? fun? horrible? do tell!! the premise sounds good.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:47 am

Brittas nya häst . It is very hard to find anything Swedish where I am. This is a start. (Anyone got a box of unused books in Swedish?)

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:14 am

Bloody Mary wrote:

You would ask! Russo has been called a novelist of the working class. Just stand at the book rack and read the first few pages. If you can put it down and walk away, then 80-year-old Miss Beryl and Sully, her 60-year-old renter, will have to continue on without you!
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:08 pm

Well, I haven't been updating my progress through The Dresden Files. So here it is...

And that's it, there is no more :x :cry:

Currently listening to the audiobook "The Boy on the Bridge", which is a prequel (I believe) to "The Girl With All the Gifts". So far it has a similar feel to the previous book, which is good if you liked the first book (which I did).

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:23 am

Jameron wrote:...Currently listening to the audiobook "The Boy on the Bridge", which is a prequel (I believe) to "The Girl With All the Gifts". So far it has a similar feel to the previous book, which is good if you liked the first book (which I did).
Sounds interesting. Must look into it...
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:03 am

dongregg wrote:
Bloody Mary wrote:

You would ask! Russo has been called a novelist of the working class. Just stand at the book rack and read the first few pages. If you can put it down and walk away, then 80-year-old Miss Beryl and Sully, her 60-year-old renter, will have to continue on without you!
And now, Bloody Mary, I have a signed first edition of Trajectory, which contains four not-so-short short stories.

Richard Russo was in Atlanta this week to address a literary group, followed by a book signing. :D
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Return to “Off Topic”