Last book(s) you read?

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
a_contemplative_life

Re: Last book(s) you read?

Post by a_contemplative_life » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:28 pm

In a dusty German bookshop, the noted historian Joel F. Harrington stumbled upon a remarkable document: the journal of a sixteenth-century executioner. The journal gave an account of the 394 people Meister Frantz Schmidt executed, and the hundreds more he tortured, flogged, or disfigured for more than forty-five years in the city of Nuremberg. But the portrait of Schmidt that gradually emerged was not that of a monster. Could a man who practiced such cruelty also be insightful, compassionate―even progressive?

In The Faithful Executioner, Harrington teases out the hidden meanings and drama of Schmidt's journal. Deemed an official outcast, Meister Frantz sought to prove himself worthy of honor and free his children from the stigma of his profession. Harrington uncovers details of Schmidt's life and work: the shocking, but often familiar, crimes of the day; the medical practice that he felt was his true calling; and his lifelong struggle to reconcile his craft with his religious faith.

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:40 pm

a_contemplative_life wrote:Image
In a dusty German bookshop, the noted historian Joel F. Harrington stumbled upon a remarkable document: the journal of a sixteenth-century executioner. The journal gave an account of the 394 people Meister Frantz Schmidt executed, and the hundreds more he tortured, flogged, or disfigured for more than forty-five years in the city of Nuremberg. But the portrait of Schmidt that gradually emerged was not that of a monster. Could a man who practiced such cruelty also be insightful, compassionate―even progressive?

In The Faithful Executioner, Harrington teases out the hidden meanings and drama of Schmidt's journal. Deemed an official outcast, Meister Frantz sought to prove himself worthy of honor and free his children from the stigma of his profession. Harrington uncovers details of Schmidt's life and work: the shocking, but often familiar, crimes of the day; the medical practice that he felt was his true calling; and his lifelong struggle to reconcile his craft with his religious faith.
I've read a number of books on the subject but I never heard of this guy. I'll look it up.

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

EEA

Post by EEA » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:44 am

The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy.

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:22 pm

A great book for reviving childhood memories.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:42 pm

This'll spice up your day. Here are my recent reads
  • C++-Standardbibliothek / Rainer Grimm
  • The Boost C++ Libraries / Boris Schäling
  • Effective Modern C++ / Scott Meyers
Clearly, I know how to have a good time. C++ macht Spaß!

Next up:
  • Getting Started with Erlang / Ericsson AB

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:54 pm

gkmoberg1 wrote:This'll spice up your day. Here are my recent reads
  • C++-Standardbibliothek / Rainer Grimm
  • The Boost C++ Libraries / Boris Schäling
  • Effective Modern C++ / Scott Meyers
Clearly, I know how to have a good time. C++ macht Spaß!

Next up:
  • Getting Started with Erlang / Ericsson AB
Sehr geil!
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:59 pm

Reading The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:27 pm

PeteMork wrote:
Jameron wrote:...Currently listening to the audiobook "The Boy on the Bridge", which is a prequel (I believe) to "The Girl With All the Gifts". So far it has a similar feel to the previous book, which is good if you liked the first book (which I did).
Sounds interesting. Must look into it...
You should. The story actually runs concurrently and ends later in the timeline that the first book so it definitely isn't a prequel. I enjoyed it a lot.

I hope there are further instalments to come.

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

EEA

Post by EEA » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:07 am

All Quiet of the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:21 am

EEA wrote:All Quiet of the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque.
That powerful book meant so much to me when I read it as a teen. I'm glad you're reading it!

Return to “Off Topic”