Last book(s) you read?

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
gkmoberg1

Re: Last book(s) you read?

Post by gkmoberg1 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:09 pm

Bloody Mary wrote:... but I know, I just know, there's going to be a romance between Protagonist and another character...
And were you right?

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:14 pm

I am reading "Writing Blockbuster Plots / A Step-by-Step Guide to Mastering Plot, Structure & Scene" by Martha Aldenson.

I picked up this book because I find that I am not alone in being an author who becomes bogged down by the complexities of story writing. Starting a story is never the hard part for me. But once I get into the midst of a story, continuing becomes difficult. There can be a lot going on. I have tried various techniques, such as post-it notes across the floor and writing outlines, but I've yet to be successful. So, my hope is that Martha's process will get me from being stuck to being productive. I'm on page 48 out of 200, so I'll have to let you know later on what I take away from this. And then again, further down the road, let's see if my writing stops getting bogged down. 8-)

I've not read Martha's prior "The Plot Whisperer", maybe that's next.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:23 pm

Bloody Mary wrote:Also, The Bone Season, by Samantha Shannon. Clairvoyants are outlawed by the totalitarian government, and so have gone underground to avoid detection. It's frustrating because the writing is pretty engaging - the author was only 21 when it was published in 2013, impressive! - but I know, I just know, there's going to be a romance between Protagonist and another character, because it was obvious from the jacket description. This is a gigantic pet peeve of mine. Can't there ever be a platonic, non-familial male-female relationship in fiction that isn't a romance? If they aren't together, he's in love with her (most common, it seems) or she's in love with him. It is as if authors think all platonic friendships mean nothing - they have to be involved in some way.

I suspect it's because authors don't know how to write friendship. They can do smoldering eyes and instant connections just by parroting it from other authors (this and the topic's popularity resulting in an ever-increasing number of sources), but can't come up with a believable, original bond.
The movie 'The Da Vinci Code' is the first example that comes to mind for a non-familial male-female relationship that isn't a romance. Further examples are hard to think of quickly. Perhaps 'Zootopia'? But yes, romance sells, smoldering eyes and all.

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:25 pm

gkmoberg1 wrote:I am reading "Writing Blockbuster Plots / A Step-by-Step Guide to Mastering Plot, Structure & Scene" by Martha Aldenson.

I picked up this book because I find that I am not alone in being an author who becomes bogged down by the complexities of story writing. Starting a story is never the hard part for me. But once I get into the midst of a story, continuing becomes difficult. There can be a lot going on. I have tried various techniques, such as post-it notes across the floor and writing outlines, but I've yet to be successful. So, my hope is that Martha's process will get me from being stuck to being productive. I'm on page 48 out of 200, so I'll have to let you know later on what I take away from this. And then again, further down the road, let's see if my writing stops getting bogged down. 8-)

I'm running into the exact same problem with my current story. Let me know it this book addresses your problems constructively.
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

Bloody Mary

Post by Bloody Mary » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:01 pm

gkmoberg1 wrote:I am reading "Writing Blockbuster Plots / A Step-by-Step Guide to Mastering Plot, Structure & Scene" by Martha Aldenson.

Do let us know how it works out for you. I think of ideas, get excited about them, and then the excitement fizzles out as I get halfway or so through and don't know where I'm going next with it. Or I have a beginning, and ending, but not much of a middle. It would be great to get some of these finished.
"Do not go gentle into that good night . . . Rage, rage against the dying of the light." -Dylan Thomas

Bloody Mary

Post by Bloody Mary » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:18 pm

gkmoberg1 wrote:
Bloody Mary wrote:... but I know, I just know, there's going to be a romance between Protagonist and another character...
And were you right?
I was. I skipped to the end and ran into the usual nonsense that replaces anything substantial and original - "he ran his thumb over my lips as he gazed into my eyes," on and on. There aren't many romances I like, but the ones I do enjoy build something unique between the characters that takes care of the chemistry without recycling the same old forced Fifty Shades clichés. It was even more disappointing because there was a friendship between Protagonist and someone else, not the love interest, hinted at towards the beginning that looked like it had turned into something interesting when I peeked at the end just to confirm my romance suspicion.

Thanks to gkmoberg1 for the Da Vinci Code suggestion. :)
"Do not go gentle into that good night . . . Rage, rage against the dying of the light." -Dylan Thomas

EEA

Post by EEA » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:06 am

Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann and Tipping the Velvet by Sarah Waters.

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:52 pm

George Eliot, The Mill on the Floss.

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

Bloody Mary

Post by Bloody Mary » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:03 pm

EEA wrote:Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann and Tipping the Velvet by Sarah Waters.
Was Tipping the Velvet good? I saw the movie, but thought the whole middle bit with prostitution was pretty pulpy, and there didn't seem to be much chemistry between Nan and Flo, since that relationship came toward the end - there wasn't much time to root for it. The main reason I wanted Nan with Flo is that Flo wasn't Kitty.

EEA

Post by EEA » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:03 am

Bloody Mary wrote:
EEA wrote:Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann and Tipping the Velvet by Sarah Waters.
Was Tipping the Velvet good? I saw the movie, but thought the whole middle bit with prostitution was pretty pulpy, and there didn't seem to be much chemistry between Nan and Flo, since that relationship came toward the end - there wasn't much time to root for it. The main reason I wanted Nan with Flo is that Flo wasn't Kitty.
The book was ok. I enjoyed the first part, but did not enjoy the second part which dealt with the prostitution. That part of the book made me not care about Nan. The third part deals with Flo and Nan's relationship though I feel that it is too short. If you read the book, I would recommend reading the first part, skipping the second part, and just read the third part.

Return to “Off Topic”