Last book(s) you read?

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
EEA

Re: Last book(s) you read?

Post by EEA » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:21 pm

A Home at The End of The World by Michael Cunningham.

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:58 pm

Book three of The Wayward Pines trilogy, audiobook.

I liked it well enough, don't think I'll ever revisit it though.

We Are Legion (We Are Bob), audiobook.

Really enjoyed this one, sad when it ended. Next book will be released in March, not long to wait.

Small Favour, book ten of The Dresden Files.

Turn Coat, book eleven of The Dresden Files.

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

krmujn0831

Post by krmujn0831 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:48 pm

a_contemplative_life wrote:Image
You seem to be a history buff. Let me recommend some books that I have recently read.
krmujn0831 wrote:Image
krmujn0831 wrote:Image
Into a person,
Absolutely free
From thoughts and emotions,
Even the tiger finds no room
To insert its fierce claws.

Bloody Mary

Post by Bloody Mary » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:21 am

Currently rereading The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart, about unusually gifted children on a secret mission to take down a massive conspiracy. Reading for the first time The Rebecca Notebook and Other Memories, a collection of some of Daphne du Maurier's short stories, memoirs, poems, her journal while writing Rebecca, and the original planned epilogue to said novel.
"Do not go gentle into that good night . . . Rage, rage against the dying of the light." -Dylan Thomas

EEA

Post by EEA » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:41 am

Hannibal by Thomas Harris.
Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens.
Last edited by EEA on Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Drakeule

Post by Drakeule » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:23 am

The Night Bird

EEA

Post by EEA » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:00 pm

Hunger of Memory: The Education of Richard Rodriguez by Richard Rodriguez.
The Lost Daughter by Elena Ferrante.
The Neopolitan Novels by Elena Ferrante.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:08 pm

Image White Trash: The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America

by Nancy Isenberg, 2016.

I'm about 3/4 the way through. I have this as an audible book instead of the print edition. Kinda regretting the decision on this because I'd like to be able to see and page through this.

The book, among many other things, paints a picture of the U.S. Civil War that I was never given as a child. I'm up the section between the World Wars.... it is stunning how indifferent we can be and how caught up in bad science entire societies can become.

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:17 am

gkmoberg1 wrote:Image White Trash: The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America

by Nancy Isenberg, 2016.

I'm about 3/4 the way through. I have this as an audible book instead of the print edition. Kinda regretting the decision on this because I'd like to be able to see and page through this.

The book, among many other things, paints a picture of the U.S. Civil War that I was never given as a child. I'm up the section between the World Wars.... it is stunning how indifferent we can be and how caught up in bad science entire societies can become.
How is the American Civil War different for you in this book?

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

Bloody Mary

Post by Bloody Mary » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:41 am

I'm currently reading The World of Ice and Fire: The Untold History of Westeros and the Game of Thrones. ASOIAF and GoT fanatics should enjoy this, with its maps and illustrations. It's presented as a history of the GoT world written by a maester (scholar in the GoT universe).

Also, The Bone Season, by Samantha Shannon. Clairvoyants are outlawed by the totalitarian government, and so have gone underground to avoid detection. It's frustrating because the writing is pretty engaging - the author was only 21 when it was published in 2013, impressive! - but I know, I just know, there's going to be a romance between Protagonist and another character, because it was obvious from the jacket description. This is a gigantic pet peeve of mine. Can't there ever be a platonic, non-familial male-female relationship in fiction that isn't a romance? If they aren't together, he's in love with her (most common, it seems) or she's in love with him. It is as if authors think all platonic friendships mean nothing - they have to be involved in some way.

I suspect it's because authors don't know how to write friendship. They can do smoldering eyes and instant connections just by parroting it from other authors (this and the topic's popularity resulting in an ever-increasing number of sources), but can't come up with a believable, original bond.
"Do not go gentle into that good night . . . Rage, rage against the dying of the light." -Dylan Thomas

Return to “Off Topic”