Last book(s) you read?

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
a_contemplative_life

Re: Last book(s) you read?

Post by a_contemplative_life » Fri May 27, 2022 10:59 pm

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:09 am

I'm afraid to ask but I will ... how was Invasion of the Body Snatchers? ... Are you, um, still feeling yourself?

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:10 am

I'm reading the English xlation of Per Petterson's book. I did not realize it had been made into a movie!

Siggdalos

Post by Siggdalos » Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:18 pm

Got Our Share of Night by Mariana Enríquez for Christmas after seeing JAL repeatedly recommend it as the best horror novel he's read. It's great, but I wasn't as blown away by it as it sounds like he was. In particular, I think that while the mythology it introduces is creative and interesting, it's not as unique as he hyped it up to be.

Here's the Swedish cover. The blurb by JAL at the top says:
A magnificent novel with a mythology all its own and a good evidence that genre literature can also be great literature.
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

EdwardMatthew

Post by EdwardMatthew » Tue May 23, 2023 12:12 pm

The last book I read was The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald great novel.

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:09 am

gkmoberg1 wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:09 am
I'm afraid to ask but I will ... how was Invasion of the Body Snatchers? ... Are you, um, still feeling yourself?
Any story/film that deals with the stealing or eradication/replacement of one's identity is always super-creepy, IMHO. In my opinion, the Invasion of the Body Snatchers novel was not as good as the mid-'70's film.

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:14 am

Army of Evil - a History of the SS, by Adrian Weale (2012)

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:07 pm

Finished 'The Lying Game' by Ruth Ware. I'd previously read her 'The Woman in Cabin 10'. Both are good thrillers!

As well, it turns out these two were her second and third released novels and I happened to read them in order. Not that there's a relationship between the two. I mean simply that I read her 2nd novel first and then her 3rd novel after that. I recommend them both and have intentions of finding her debut novel 'in a dark, dark wood'. Muahahahaha, sounds unsettling.

Siggdalos

Post by Siggdalos » Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:42 am

1793, the first part of Niklas Natt och Dag's Bellman Noir trilogy of crime novels set in 1790s Stockholm. I read the graphic novel version (2022) first and then the original prose version (2017), and I really enjoyed both. Extremely well-researched and detailed depiction of an interesting time period, simultaneously very dark and very beautifully written.

Till varmare länder (To warmer countries) by P. C. Jersild (1977). A young woman settles into a dull life as a suburban housewife. Her only break from monotony is a series of letters from a guy who had a crush on her as a teen and is still obsessed with her, and who describes a failed humanitarian trip to a savannah country which turns out to be a very underwhelming and mundane version of Hell (which I guess is meant as a reflection of the main character's situation). It's a pretty strange little novel, but I like it, in a way. The reason I was curious to read it is because it's one of the only pre-JAL books to be set in Blackeberg.

And yes, I read both of them for research purposes, kind of.
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

metoo

Post by metoo » Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:28 pm

Siggdalos wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:42 am
And yes, I read both of them for research purposes, kind of.
Lars Widding skrev ett flertal böcker som utspelar sig under senare delen av 1700-talet.
Jag tror att han var rätt noggrann i sin research, och att miljöerna är trovärdiga.
Jag läste några av dem på 70-talet, och en del av min förståelse av hur Elis ursprung kunde ha tett sig kommer därifrån.

https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lars_Widding
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

Return to “Off Topic”