Last book(s) you read?

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
EEA

Re: Last book(s) you read?

Post by EEA » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:37 am

It is, finish reading it tonight. I had always wanted to read the book while I was in high school since the history teacher mention it. All the things that a war brings except peace.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:02 pm

The Art of Biblical Poetry by Robert Alter.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:30 am

A Boy Made Of Blocks by Keith Stuart.It was really hard going and took me about a month to read.It was from my daughter so I had to finish it.I hope she doesn't quiz me cos I skipped over a lot of it..For me the characters weren't likable at all but my daughter loved it.
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

Ross Barkley

Post by Ross Barkley » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:49 am

American Gods by Neil Gaiman.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:18 pm

Ross Barkley wrote:American Gods by Neil Gaiman.
Welcome to WTI, Ross Barkley!

I'm reading Dostoyevsky's The Brothers Karamazov. It is a claustrophobic, emotionally tiring masterpiece. This will be my first and last go at it!
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:09 am

Koe no Katachi

Great story, I'll watch the anime soon (hopefully).

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:57 pm

The Subtle Art of not giving a F...k..by Mark Manson..Very funny.
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:31 am

The Stockholm Octavo, by Karen Engelmann

I am very curious to see how this plays out. It starts off in 1790s Stockholm. during the reign of King Gustav III

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:32 am

Nine Princes in Amber (1970), the first book in the series The Chronicles of Amber, all of which I have and am enjoying reliving after more than 40 years.

Roger Zelazny, 1937 - 1995. Requiescat in Elektra

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:27 am

The Guns of Avalon, second in the Amber series. Now on the third, Sign of the Unicorn.

It occurs to me that writing fantasy is easier in some respects than writing a story based on a real time and place. You have to get the details right if it is a real place. Sounds, smells. But with fantasy, you get to make up how a place looks. Especially, you get plot resolutions by having a wizard show up in your cell to spring you. Or you can exercise supernatural abilities.

But I am content. Although my LTROI writings have not been without goof ups, Sweden seems so real to me. I know that's why the story stayed in Malmö for 11 months, with few trips even to Copenhagen. Read Ei's reluctance to leave as my own reluctance personified. :)

But Zelazny -- He was a master of swords and sorcery. There are plot surprises that are just brilliant. Amber has lived in my mind as a real place for decades.

Return to “Off Topic”