Gift Idea for Christmas: Rubiks Cube Bank

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
abner_mohl

Gift Idea for Christmas: Rubiks Cube Bank

Post by abner_mohl » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:50 pm

http://www.walyou.com/blog/2010/11/11/c ... cube-bank/
The products we’ve seen inspired by the Rubik’s Cube add up to quite a considerable collection. After all, the distinct 6-color randomized pattern of squares is immediately recognizable, despite the cube’s 43 quintillion possible combinations.

Most items inspired by the Rubik’s cube only need to be twisted once to work; until now, I’d never seen a Rubik’s Cube gadget that actually had to be solved to function!

The Rubik’s Cube Bank works in a very curious way; to deposit money, you need to solve the yellow side. To take out money, you’ll need to figure out the green side. Brilliant idea, though its target audience is fairly limited; while solving one face isn’t as hard as solving the entire cube, it can still be a challenge if you’ve never done it before.

I get the feeling that that part of the appeal of the Rubik’s Cube is the fact that the cubes are darned near impossible to solve without some sort of cheatsheet – and even then it’s not a cakewalk. With a bit of difficulty, I can solve a cube in about 10 minutes, which is pretty pitiful, given that the current in-competition world record is 7 seconds.

An interesting note about this bank is that (as you’ve probably gathered) it’s fully functional as a regular Rubik’s Cube. If you happen to have larger hands, it might even be nicer to solve this instead, as the Rubik’s Cube Bank is a bit larger than the standard size.

Of course, you may not want to fully solve it unless you really want your pennies to come spilling out. On that note, if you’re a hardcore speedcuber, greasing the bank to make it twist smoothly may not be the best idea, unless you don’t mind getting vaseline all over your money.

This would actually be a pretty great gift for young children who have trouble saving their money, since they’d probably find the Rubik’s Cube Bank very hard to solve, especially if you tell them that the whole thing needs to be solved for money to come out. Of course, this may also have the unintended consequence of helping develop their lateral thinking. After all, the cube can be opened fairly easily by prying apart a corner piece. Now that’s thinking outside the box – er, cube.

As mentioned before, there are a few other Rubik’s Cube devices that operate with the twisting of a side. The Rubik’s Cube MP3 player turns on and off when its middle section is turned, and the salt & pepper Rubik’s Cube Mills function in much the same way.

laise

Re: Gift Idea for Christmas: Rubiks Cube Bank

Post by laise » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:48 am

Hello,
Thanks for sharing the post.
I am a student of 12TH standards and I want to buy a unique gift for my teacher, So has anyone suggest me a good shop or any online site?? :(

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:59 pm

laise wrote:Hello,
I am a student of 12TH standards and I want to buy a unique gift for my teacher, So has anyone suggest me a good shop or any online site?? :(
Hi laise. Welcome. This forum is lots of fun. :)
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:15 am

linda3210 wrote:
laise wrote:Hello,
Hi, laise
If it were up to me, it would be something creative and unique, yet simple and practical. Something that they would want for themselves, and be glad to use and show off. Something they might like, but wouldn't think to get. I hope I'm on the right lines.

Suggestions? Nothing that breaks easily or may be dangerous to children please.
Thanks!
Hi Linda3210. Welcome to the forum.

Hi laise. It's not a bad idea to ask for such advice. I asked for such help for Oskar and Eli's Christmas gifts in my fan fiction and got tons of ideas -- music, books, and so forth from forum members.

When I'm picking out a gift, I follow two ideas -- Give the person something they already have too much of. If that doesn't work, then give the person something that you like! :D
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:22 am

Hi Welcome to the forum.Teachers are pretty much under appreciated so maybe something that reminds them of a student who did appreciate them?..or find out what their passion is and buy accordingly?..My mother for years and years bought me socks and underwear..(you can never have enough she would say.. :lol: )..But I'm not sure if your teacher would appreciate them. :lol: :lol: They're not exactly keepsakes..
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

Return to “Off Topic”