Last DVD/Movie you bought or watched?

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
dongregg

Re: Last DVD/Movie you bought or watched?

Post by dongregg » Wed May 03, 2017 3:36 pm

13 Reasons Why/Heathers.

Salon article. Warning: There be spoilers.

http://www.salon.com/2017/05/02/13-reas ... -303650393
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Bloody Mary

Post by Bloody Mary » Thu May 04, 2017 1:54 am

dongregg wrote:13 Reasons Why/Heathers.

Salon article. Warning: There be spoilers.

http://www.salon.com/2017/05/02/13-reas ... -303650393
She makes a very good (but well-known) point that parents banning material makes that very thing more attractive. I couldn't wait to watch The Shining because I knew it was forbidden :D

I do not think the death scene's graphic depiction glorifies suicide. It looked extremely painful, showing how deep Hannah had to dig the razor to get herself to bleed out. Her mother's reaction upon finding her was the most terrible to watch.

I understand why some people think that the message gives the idea that we are responsible for others' decisions, which is dangerous, particularly for kids who may end up getting too involved with trying to help a troubled peer. I didn't agree with Tony's statement that he and the others on the tapes "killed Hannah." Ultimately, individuals make their own decisions, but those decisions don't occur in a vacuum; to some extent, we are responsible for each other.
"Do not go gentle into that good night . . . Rage, rage against the dying of the light." -Dylan Thomas

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Sat May 06, 2017 9:29 am

Just re-watched To Kill A Mockingbird.Just a wonderful movie.I tried to read the book many years ago and found it hard because of the southern accents but somehow watching the movie made it easier to understand and it's one of my favorite movies (LTROI is my favorite).I'll have to try and read it again now that I know more about the story.
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Sat May 06, 2017 11:44 am

ltroifanatic wrote:Just re-watched To Kill A Mockingbird.Just a wonderful movie.I tried to read the book many years ago and found it hard because of the southern accents but somehow watching the movie made it easier to understand and it's one of my favorite movies (LTROI is my favorite).I'll have to try and read it again now that I know more about the story.
That's a classic!

I watched Dog Day Afternoon with Al Pacino. Reminded me so much of growing up in the 70's.

EEA

Post by EEA » Sun May 07, 2017 7:14 am

Started watching 13 Reasons Why and only watched the first ten minutes before my four year old niece came and ask if I could play with her. :lol:
I will try to watch the rest sometime next week and will post my thoughts. So far I like the beginning and want to know what happened.
My older niece already saw the show too and she said that it was all Hanna's fault.

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Sun May 07, 2017 7:13 pm

EEA wrote:Started watching 13 Reasons Why and only watched the first ten minutes before my four year old niece came and ask if I could play with her. :lol:
I will try to watch the rest sometime next week and will post my thoughts. So far I like the beginning and want to know what happened.
My older niece already saw the show too and she said that it was all Hanna's fault.
I have myself not yet seen the series, and am debating the wisdom of doing so. Some of the reading around I've done about '13 Reasons' is rather alarming, and further reading around suggests to me that while suicide may be fairly common (said to be the tenth leading cause of death in the US), it also seems to be no better understood than it was twenty years ago.

Comments like that ("it's all Hanna's fault") comes across to me as a deliberate and determined effort to not understand it.
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

Bloody Mary

Post by Bloody Mary » Tue May 09, 2017 1:13 am

sauvin wrote:
EEA wrote:Started watching 13 Reasons Why and only watched the first ten minutes before my four year old niece came and ask if I could play with her. :lol:
I have myself not yet seen the series, and am debating the wisdom of doing so.
Why? Even if you disagree with the message, or find it detrimental to teenagers as some have done, it's still a perspective to consider.
"Do not go gentle into that good night . . . Rage, rage against the dying of the light." -Dylan Thomas

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Tue May 09, 2017 1:14 am

Bloody Mary wrote:
sauvin wrote:
I have myself not yet seen the series, and am debating the wisdom of doing so.
Why? Even if you disagree with the message, or find it detrimental to teenagers as some have done, it's still a perspective to consider.
Because when I was her age, I very nearly went the same way she went.

Bloody Mary

Post by Bloody Mary » Tue May 09, 2017 6:12 pm

sauvin wrote:
Ah. It's true that the suicide scene is graphic.

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Tue May 09, 2017 6:13 pm

Bloody Mary wrote:
sauvin wrote:
Ah. It's true that the suicide scene is graphic.
Do you really think a "graphic" suicide scene would be so emotionally troublesome?

Return to “Off Topic”