Last DVD/Movie you bought or watched?

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
a_contemplative_life

Re: Last DVD/Movie you bought or watched?

Post by a_contemplative_life » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:32 am

"What do you want for Christmas, little boy?"

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:07 am

a_contemplative_life wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:32 am

"What do you want for Christmas, little boy?"
Just talking with my brother about how we used to listen to Jean Shepherd's radio show late at night back in the 70s.

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

JToede

Post by JToede » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:59 am

I'm surprised no one has said it yet. so I will...."I want an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle! "
Veni, Vidi, volo in domum redire.

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:25 pm

Our Little Sister...

A lighter story from the creator of Nobody Knows.

Loved it.

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

danielmann861

Post by danielmann861 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:31 am

Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Hated it! If Rouge One didn't kill Star Wars then this piece of crap certainly finished off the job. Inconsistent sloppy writing that betrays established characters combined with a further undeveloped fresh set of faces who I couldn't give two craps about sums up my major grievances with it. I'll just say it out loud. I think Rey is another boring bland character in the mold of Bella Swan. The annoying type of character who is just conveniently perfect at everything and has no real hurdles to overcome. It's damn near impossible to care about the plight of this character when the screenwriters give us no reason to invest in her. And don't get me started on what they did to Luke.

Yeah, I hated this. I'll give it one thing though, it did the one thing the prequels couldn't do, it killed my last bit of love for Star Wars. I'm not going to say "it ruined my childhood" (it didn't) but its a movie that I would like to completely forget about. To the point where I don't even think I'm going to bother with Episode 9 or the rest of the crap that Disney will milk out of this franchise.

IT - Finally got around to watching IT. I actually really liked it. Color me shocked. I avoided it in its cinema release, but to my great surprise, I really genuinely enjoyed this. They did a pretty good job with it.

Inside - Awful remake is awful. Skip it and watch the original French film instead.

Berlin Syndrome -- Not too bad for what it was. A decent little psychological thriller that kept me invested. Not bad. Not bad at all.

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:33 am

danielmann861 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:31 am
Inconsistent sloppy writing
I agree with you about the latest Star Wars, although I was not quite as outraged as you seem to be. It did seem rather thoughtlessly slapped together.

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

danielmann861

Post by danielmann861 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:40 am

gattoparde59 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:33 am
danielmann861 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:31 am
Inconsistent sloppy writing
I agree with you about the latest Star Wars, although I was not quite as outraged as you seem to be. It did seem rather thoughtlessly slapped together.
I think the only thing I hold outrage towards would be their treatment of Luke. It just felt so out of character that it was kind annoying. The worst part being that I could see that arc kind of working if only written better, but as is, it was just frustrating to me. It didn't feel like the Luke that we got to know over the course of three movies. It felt like a complete betrayal of everything the character stood for and I guess it kinda annoyed me. If you would allow me to be fanboyish for a moment :) I mean that's the thing. I'm not even the biggest fan of Star Wars, but even I thought it was a complete betrayl of what the character stood for.

I think The Last Jedi was the movie that made me realize "I think I don't care for Star Wars anymore"

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:58 pm

danielmann861 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:40 am
I think The Last Jedi was the movie that made me realize "I think I don't care for Star Wars anymore"
Nice to see you back, Daniel. :D

For me, it was the first prequel with Darth Maul.

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

danielmann861

Post by danielmann861 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:05 am

Jameron wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:58 pm
danielmann861 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:40 am
Nice to see you back, Daniel. :D

For me, it was the first prequel with Darth Maul.

Thanks, I still lurk from time to time :) I'm like the Ninja in the shadows, you never know where I will pop in and comment :)

You know, I know its fashionable to hate the prequels but I've got to be honest, I never really hated them with a passion. Sure, I don't think they're good films. I think they have numerous flaws in the writing, acting and directing department. I think there were too many "yes" men surrounding George Lucas and not calling him out on his BS when needed. But still, I give those films some credit for at least trying to tell that story arc with some measure of consistency. And really, within those three films are moments where you think "man, if only this had a better writer and director to really make something of it. This could have been pretty good had it had someone better helming it."

Excuse my language but as for Disney's s**t? I just feel like its all manufactured. We've gone from films made by one man surrounded by "yes" men to films made by <shiver> committee. It registered for me with The Force Awakens but I let it pass because TFA was largely enjoyable enough to let it slide. But I couldn't do it with TLJ.

The longer TLJ went on, the more I became irritated by it.

Return to “Off Topic”