Last DVD/Movie you bought or watched?

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
gattoparde59

Re: Last DVD/Movie you bought or watched?

Post by gattoparde59 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:47 am

The Phantom Carriage. Silent film from Sweden in 1921.

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

danielmann861

Post by danielmann861 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:01 am

The Snowman - I knew the reviews were terrible, but I still had to see it for obvious reasons. Well, it certainly wasn't three for three for Alfredson. A true and utter disappointment. A mess of a film that felt like it was so desperately trying to be salvaged in post. Oh well, at least he still has LTROI and TTSS under his belt.

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:43 pm

Hey Daniel :D

You are totally spot on with the attempt to save The Snowman in post. Alfredson has said that they didn't get to film about 10 to 15 percent of the story, for ... reasons (I'm guessing sudden financial issues). I haven't seen it yet but I no doubt will when there's a decent rip once the Bluray comes out.

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

EEA

Post by EEA » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:17 pm

I also wanted to see the movie but with the reviews it got, :shock: I was surprised the trailer when I saw it was interesting.

danielmann861

Post by danielmann861 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:45 am

Jameron wrote:Hey Daniel :D

You are totally spot on with the attempt to save The Snowman in post. Alfredson has said that they didn't get to film about 10 to 15 percent of the story, for ... reasons (I'm guessing sudden financial issues). I haven't seen it yet but I no doubt will when there's a decent rip once the Bluray comes out.

Howdy, glad to see you're still here :) I really need to check in more often with this place.

Yeah, i read about that interview after seeing it. Just watching the film alone I was mesmerized by how badly slapped together it was. The whole time I was sitting there thinking "something had to have gone completely wrong here. I know the pedigree of this director, I know what he can do...something desperately went wrong here." I think Kermode probably put it best; "the film got away from them." There's no other way to put it. It's a film that went completely off the rails somewhere along the line and they were just desperately trying to salvage it.

A real shame. Especially for us considering we know what Alfredson is capable of (being both LTROI and TTSS...actually throw in Four Shades of Brown while at it, because that film is pretty damn good as well)

A real mess. Just a real complete mess. But still, much like a train wreck, I couldn't take my eyes away from it :) So I'll give it that much.

danielmann861

Post by danielmann861 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:43 am

I finally had some time free recently (studying, my pursuit to lose weight and work has really taken over my life at the moment) so I finally got a chance to catch up on a whole bunch of stuff that I've been meaning to catch up with for some time. So bare with me. This is going to be a long post.

---------------------------------------------------------------

The Devil's Candy -- I was a huge fan of Sean Byrne's directorial debut The Loved Ones. The Loved Ones was a real overlooked gem of Australian Horror and I was keenly awaiting his next film. Didn't disappoint. I quite enjoyed this. The characters are really well developed. It's hard not to like the family unit presented in this movie. Excellent metal soundtrack and a couple of gnarly moments. It's a pretty good little horror film. Not entirely original, it is a well worn concept fueling it (man vs satanic forces) but it's very well played and well directed.

Cult of Chucky -- It's another Chucky film. If you're a fan then you'll probably enjoy it. If not then move right along, nothing to see here. I personally didn't feel one way or the other about it. I think it's a bit of a mixed bag. The last 30 minutes are probably the true stand out. But it's kind of a mixed bag. Being a straight to DVD release, the production values are all over the place. There are a couple of impressive shots here and there, but overall, the whole production just felt too sterile and almost too clean. Too over-lit at points. I felt this was a real step back from Curse of Chucky which was actually pretty good and, dare I say, transcended the negative stigma of Straight to DVD. Cult of Chucky sort of floats in the middle. It has a couple of inspired moments here and there but nothing to write home about.

Blade Runner 2049 -- Unpopular opinion time. I didn't really care for this at all. I mean it certainly was well made, but I honestly don’t think I felt anything for it. I don’t know, I can’t deny that it is a very well made film and they certainly spared no expense in paying attention to every last detail. But I almost feel that was a problem in and of itself. It just became a big old check list of answers to questions. It certainly is a well made film, but I just couldn’t help but feel that it was kind of unnecessary. I'll never call it a terrible film, but I just felt nothing for it other than a passing "well, that was better than it could have been but meh"

Hounds of Love -- A local (meaning Australia) horror/thriller about a murderous couple who abduct a young girl with the intention of killing her. A fairly nasty little debut from Director Ben Young. I enjoyed it (as much as you can enjoy a movie about this type of subject matter).

Norwegian Wood -- A friend from my Japanese class recommended me the works of Haruki Murakami. I read Norwegian Wood and kind of fell in love with the story. Seeked out the film version. Well made, well performed but ultimately not as good as its source material. Still, I enjoyed the film none the less, but it is a case where I can say "the book is better."

Saw 1 - 7 -- I went back and marathon-ed the entire series in prep for Jigsaw at the end of the month. I've always had a soft spot for these movies. They're not great movies by any stretch of the imagination, but much like Friday the 13th, they're fun gore fests with a cheap soap-opera-esque through line to keep you going for the entire series. 1 and 2 are still my two personal favorites of the bunch. 3 isn't bad. 4 is fun enough but starting to wear thin. 5 is completely forgettable. 6 at least tried to do something with the whole health care angle. And 7 is basically the fan fiction where they threw their hands up and said "screw it, lets take the fan fiction route! And film it in 3D while at it!" I am interested to see where Jigsaw could possibly go because by the end of this franchise, they really wore themselves thin.

Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors -- the best of the Elm Street sequels by far (if you don't include New Nightmare which I kind of don't; New Nightmare is its own beast all together.)

TerrorVision -- One of my favorite guilty pleasures :) An incredibly fun send up/tribute to 50's B monster movies. Love it, love it, love it.

Death Note (The Netflix Abomination) -- This one I saw months back, but I guess I have to say something about it. IT IS AN ABOMINATION! A god awful remake that misses the point of Death Note so entirely. Skip it! Don't waste your time! Go and watch the original Japanese movies or the anime instead.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:35 am

That's a lot, but all I can think of to say is that I'm a Murakami fan too.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:46 pm

Another Murakami fan, here.

I doubt any filmmaker could do justice to one of his novels. There's only so much screen time you can give up to perfectly shaped ears, necks, and breasts while a jazz quartet tries to hide behind a veil of cigarette smoke. ;)

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:44 am

The Mummy..and The Final Girls...I didn't like the Mummy.Was a bit of a mish-mash but The Final Girls was quite good.Funny spoof on slasher movies.Yes I know it sounds like it should be bad but it was original and very funny in parts.
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:35 pm

The Gift the Cate Blanchett movie from 2000. Pretty good horror movie i have never heard of. A bit like The Dead Zone.

Also season 2 of Stranger Things. :)

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

Return to “Off Topic”