Last DVD/Movie you bought or watched?

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
gattoparde59

Re: Last DVD/Movie you bought or watched?

Post by gattoparde59 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:31 pm

Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing, Missouri.

One preposterous scene I noticed:

How does Mildred, notorious for her quarrel with the police department, manage to fire bomb the police station and then be found at the scene and not get arrested, or at least be taken into custody for questioning? Besides, what police department closes down for the night?

Other than that, pretty engaging melodrama.

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

Drakeule

Post by Drakeule » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:08 pm

The Cloverfeild Paradox. Man that sucked. I loved the original and wanted more. Be careful what you wish for...

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:11 pm

Flatliners remake with Ellen Page

Having never seen the original I have nothing to compare this to but, OMG what a terrible film. No atmosphere, bad rationalisations, awful dialogue, convenient lack of accountability, huge ... no wait ... HUGE positive self development message in a film where no-one seemed to care about morals. Its 5.1/10 rating on IMDB seems a little high to me.

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:19 am

I'm watching Hemlock Grove on Netflix.I've watched the first season and still not sure who anyone is.The last episode of the season looked like the second season might hold promise but I was wrong.It just got sillier and more confusing.Well that's about 13-14 hours I'll never get back. :lol: and the best is yet to come as my wife really likes it.Ah the things we do for love. :D Also,and this may be sacrilegious to fans,I've tried and tried to watch Cloverfield.It seemed to have all the ingredients for a good movie but I just couldn't get past the "shaky cam".Is the whole movie like that? If not i'll give it another go. :D
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:04 pm

The Florida Project.

Depressing movie about a mother and daughter living at a tourist motel near Disney World in Orlando. Told from the little girls point of view, the Mom works through various shady schemes to make the rent until she finally goes completely off the rails. Great performances from the mother and daughter duo. Also has William Dafoe who plays it straight as the sympathetic motel manager.

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:26 am

If you liked "Invasion of the Body Snatchers", you might enjoy "Pleasantville", but you'll have to reverse a few polarities somewhere shortly after the opening scenes in order to derive maximum benefit from it. In "Invasion", the protagonists eventually cottoned onto the dangers of falling asleep (we're supposed to understand at some level that what sleeps is reason itself). In "Pleasantville", everybody is already asleep and what the movie is about is some of the dangers of waking up. The visual fascination is with the blatant use of colour to bludgeon viewers over the head with the concept of transformation, but the story is loaded with background allegory that'd take me a month just to mention (and that just the little things I actually caught).
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:52 am

Mini-series watched the old fashioned way: one week at a time.

The Alienist 1890s Scooby-Gang trying to catch a serial killer in New York City.

Waco

Based on actual events surrounding the Branch Davidian church in Waco Texas. Can't say how accurate this is, but Yikes! :shock:

Nisa

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:57 pm

Roughly half way through Season 1 of Scum's Wish...

Not for the puritans.

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:07 am

gattoparde59 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:52 am
Mini-series watched the old fashioned way: one week at a time.

The Alienist 1890s Scooby-Gang trying to catch a serial killer in New York City.

Waco

Based on actual events surrounding the Branch Davidian church in Waco Texas. Can't say how accurate this is, but Yikes! :shock:
I watched a doco on the Oklahoma bombings and Ruby Hill and Waco were shown as precursors to it.As you said,I don't know how accurate it was but it portrayed the police and other agencies as being very heavy handed. :o
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:09 pm

Lady Bird

I suppose you could say this was like watching a full season of Boy Meets World, but this was very well done. Overall a much better film than the contrived melodrama of Three Bill Boards Outside Ebbing Missouri.

I notice a trend this year for cantankerous, flawed mothers. In addition to the two films mentioned there is I, Tonya and The Florida Project.

Nisa

Return to “Off Topic”