All Summer in a Day

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
Wolfchild

All Summer in a Day

Post by Wolfchild » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:18 pm

All Summer in a Day is, of course, a short story by Ray Bradbury. It was assigned to my daughter for her to read and write some paragraphs about it. When she asked me if I had read it, I couldn't recall. I have read so much sci fi, and Bradbury has written so many stories both short and long, that I really couldn't place it. So last night I read it (perhaps again), and now through the eyes of my new unhealthy obsession with LTROI, its dominant themes struck me as having definite parallels in LTROI. The pointless cruelty, the bullying, the social isolation, and more specifically yearning for the sun symbolizing yearning for a lost home... it was impossible to not think of Eli & Oskar both while reading this story.

Sorry that I can't provide a link to read All Summer in a Day online, but you can download it here.

I couldn't decide if this would fit best in the novel section or the film section, so I just put it here instead.
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

covenant6452

Re: All Summer in a Day

Post by covenant6452 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:18 pm

Good one, Wolfchild!
I think I can barely remember this one as well from the days before cable...maybe not quite that long ago. :shock:
Short, simple, brutal example of the sci-fi that R.B. was a master of.
The group mentality at its selfish worst. NOBODY protests putting her in, too wrapped up in their own pleasure to share it with her.
Poor girl in the closet.
Du måste bjuda in mig...or else!

DMt.

Post by DMt. » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:39 pm

Thank you Wolf.

thestich

Post by thestich » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:48 pm

I sort of remember this being made into a movie or tv show or something like that.

Maybe it was an episode in the twilight zone or a similar show.

This would have been more then 20 years ago at least.
While wandering here between posts and FF, I am gradually getting convinced, that I haven't seen anywhere more beautiful madness than on this forum. Clubmeister

N.R. Gasan

Post by N.R. Gasan » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:55 am

thestich wrote:I sort of remember this being made into a movie or tv show or something like that.
Yes it was, stich; I believe it was one of the new "Twilight Zone" episodes. But I do remember seeing it on TV. And I remember feeling so badly for the girl who missed seeing the sun because of the cruelty of her peers. :(

GizWeasel

Post by GizWeasel » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:16 am

N.R. Gasan wrote:
thestich wrote:I sort of remember this being made into a movie or tv show or something like that.
Yes it was, stich; I believe it was one of the new "Twilight Zone" episodes. But I do remember seeing it on TV. And I remember feeling so badly for the girl who missed seeing the sun because of the cruelty of her peers. :(
It was an episode of PBS "Wonderworks" (1982)

I'm still researching TZ and Ray Bradbury Theater.
Smitten or bitten

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:19 am

I looked this up on wikipedia. This was done as an episode of "Wonderworks," a PBS series. It does read very much like an episode of the Twilight Zone. I guess it comes from that era of science fiction?

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

Return to “Off Topic”