bullies and pedophiles

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
sauvin

Re: bullies and pedophiles

Post by sauvin » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:26 am

DMt. wrote:The schools are in loco parentis [ahem] while the child is there, and thus do indeed have a duty of care; but the bullied child knows that after all the boxes have been ticked and the relevant wrists slapped, they can always get you later, and worse.
Yes, they can, and they do. Almost without exception.

The only problem is that it can cascade horribly. When I was in the seventh grade, I almost killed an eighth-grader twice my size because he and his buddies decided it'd be fun to slap me around a bit. His buddies didn't do a d%#n thing, either, and I'm not sure how I feel about that (but I'll bet you they weren't so close after that incident); I didn't know I was killing him, sitting on his head with his face in a foot of snow until I let him up, apparently almost at the last second, and it took him a while to figure out where he was. I didn't "rat him out" on earlier occasions for precisely the same reasons Oskar didn't: it would not only do no good, it'd just make things worse.
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

DMt.

Post by DMt. » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:09 am

You can't win, though. I was 14-15 before I punched a bully into not bullying me any more; his henchmen were horrified, like 'you didn't have to do that'. I snarled, 'he didn't have to start on me', or something, but I was sickened by the whole thing, the futility and nastiness of it, even though I'd 'won'.

Nobody wins a fight, as I believe Moon put it.

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:13 am

DMt. wrote:You can't win, though. I was 14-15 before I punched a bully into not bullying me any more; his henchmen were horrified, like 'you didn't have to do that'. I snarled, 'he didn't have to start on me', or something, but I was sickened by the whole thing, the futility and nastiness of it, even though I'd 'won'.

Nobody wins a fight, as I believe Moon put it.
Yup. Maybe it's times like those that we, as kids, really start to understand the nature of the human condition. The eternal optimism of youth starts to take its body blows.

Return to “Off Topic”