ART!

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
Lacenaire

Re: ART!

Post by Lacenaire » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:10 am

lombano wrote:
This is 'St. Francis of Borja assisting a dying man,' and the story is that a dying man was haunted by visions of demons, the saint raised a crucifix and miraculously blood gushed out of it, driving the demons away. But in Goya's version, there is no hint at all that the miracle has been successful - the demons don't even appear to have noticed it (and neither does the dying man), and the saint himself appears terrified at the miracle's ineffectiveness.
This is an unusual interpretation of this famous painting, which, moreover, does not agree with the text that it illustrates.
The subject depicted by the painting is not an exorcism but a damnation. The text, which Goya's painting closely matches, describes how the carved image of the crucified Christ held by Francis, having realized that the soul of a particular dying man could not be saved:
... detached its [the Crucifix's] nailed right arm, and placing its hand in that profusely bleeding lacerated wound in its chest, withdrew a fist filled with blood, and hurled it with indignation at the frowning, denigrated face, saying "Since you scorn this blood, which was shed for your glory, let it serve for your eternal unhappiness." Then that pitiful man, with an awful, blasphemous shout directed against Jesus Christ, gave up his soul, convulsed by a horrid moan, and it was turned over to the infamous ministers of fire and fright.
(The full title of the painting is: "Saint Francis Borgia at the Deathbed of an Impenitent.")

On the subject of miracles and Goya, here is another famous painting: St. Anthony raising a dead man - clearly a success:
I have often remarked that some many things in LTROI are so ambiguous that is like a mirror: When people try to fill in the blanks, they end up filling them in with themselves. 
Wolfchild

lombano

Post by lombano » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:54 pm

Lacenaire wrote:(The full title of the painting is: "Saint Francis Borgia at the Deathbed of an Impenitent.")
I'm afraid that's a slight mistranslation - the original Spanish title is 'San Francisco de Borja asistiendo a un moribundo impenitente' - 'asistiendo' means assisting or aiding, so would be a rather peculiar choice of words for damnation. According to the Cathedral of Valencia's website (where the painting is found, in its chapel of St Francis of Borja, for which it was commissioned by the Osunas - http://www.catedraldevalencia.es/recorr ... dral05.php) this painting depicts the following: 'La sangre de Cristo protege al pecador de los demonios que esperan llevarse su alma' - meaning 'The blood of Christ protects the sinner from the demons that hope to take his soul.'
Another source (http://www.artehistoria.jcyl.es/genios/cuadros/2653.htm) on this painting states that: 'De las llagas de Cristo sale un chorro de sangre que purifica al pecador y consigue expulsar a los demonios de su cuerpo' - 'From the wounds of Christ a jet of blood emerges which purifies the sinner and succeeds in expelling the demons from his body.' So according to these sources (as well as the book in which I originally came across this painting), the miracle is supposed to drive the demons away, rather than damning the dying man.
Last edited by lombano on Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bli mig lite.

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:02 pm

Lacenaire wrote:
lombano wrote:
This is 'St. Francis of Borja assisting a dying man,' and the story is that a dying man was haunted by visions of demons, the saint raised a crucifix and miraculously blood gushed out of it, driving the demons away. But in Goya's version, there is no hint at all that the miracle has been successful - the demons don't even appear to have noticed it (and neither does the dying man), and the saint himself appears terrified at the miracle's ineffectiveness.
This is an unusual interpretation of this famous painting, which, moreover, does not agree with the text that it illustrates.
The subject depicted by the painting is not an exorcism but a damnation. The text, which Goya's painting closely matches, describes how the carved image of the crucified Christ held by Francis, having realized that the soul of a particular dying man could not be saved:
... detached its [the Crucifix's] nailed right arm, and placing its hand in that profusely bleeding lacerated wound in its chest, withdrew a fist filled with blood, and hurled it with indignation at the frowning, denigrated face, saying "Since you scorn this blood, which was shed for your glory, let it serve for your eternal unhappiness." Then that pitiful man, with an awful, blasphemous shout directed against Jesus Christ, gave up his soul, convulsed by a horrid moan, and it was turned over to the infamous ministers of fire and fright.
(The full title of the painting is: "Saint Francis Borgia at the Deathbed of an Impenitent.")
I believe you are discussing two different paintings here. This is the painting entitled "Saint Francis Borgia at the Deathbed of an Impenitent."
http://www.the-athenaeum.org/art/full.php?ID=30251

Very similar, but distinctly different from the one Lombano is discussing.
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

Lacenaire

Post by Lacenaire » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:41 pm

PeteMork wrote:
Lacenaire wrote:
lombano wrote:
I believe you are discussing two different paintings here. This is the painting entitled "Saint Francis Borgia at the Deathbed of an Impenitent."
http://www.the-athenaeum.org/art/full.php?ID=30251

Very similar, but distinctly different from the one Lombano is discussing.
Very well noticed - it is indeed a different painting but of the same saint and of the same story. There is no St. Francis of Borja but there was St. Francis Borgia, the Jesuit Saint:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Borgia

The saint is the same and the story is the same but I did not know of the existence of the other painting that Lombano posted. A little strange although many painters painted the same scene several times.

PS. Spanish is clearly not my strong point and I was too much in a hurry to notice on the above Wikipedia page that Saint Francis Borgia and San Francisco de Borja are one and the same saint. It is certainly the same story and moreover it is given with the paining posted by Lombano here:

http://idlespeculations-terryprest.blog ... borja.html

Note that this paining (posted by Lombano) has exactly the same title as the one posted by Peter Mork. In fact they seem to be two versions of the same painting with the same title and both seem to be by Goya. The one posted by Lombano, which is also the same one that appears in my book on Goya, is in Museum of the Cathedral of Valencia. The other one, that appears in the above Wikipedia article on St. Francis Borgia is in Colección Marquesa de Santa Cruz in Madrid. Anyway, it is the same story and it concerns damnation of an unrepentant sinner and not exorcism as is often mistakenly stated. Note that the Wikipedia article on Saint Francis Borgia, as is often the case with Wikipedia when historical matters are concerned, makes the "usual mistake" stating: "He is depicted performing an exorcism by Francisco Goya", but of course this is quite false as is explicitly pointed out in books on art history or on Goya.
I have often remarked that some many things in LTROI are so ambiguous that is like a mirror: When people try to fill in the blanks, they end up filling them in with themselves. 
Wolfchild

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:04 pm

They don't make 'em like this anymore! :D

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:54 pm

Lacenaire wrote:Note that this paining (posted by Lombano) has exactly the same title as the one posted by Peter Mork. In fact they seem to be two versions of the same painting with the same title and both seem to be by Goya. The one posted by Lombano, which is also the same one that appears in my book on Goya, is in Museum of the Cathedral of Valencia. The other one, that appears in the above Wikipedia article on St. Francis Borgia is in Colección Marquesa de Santa Cruz in Madrid. Anyway, it is the same story and it concerns damnation of an unrepentant sinner and not exorcism as is often mistakenly stated. Note that the Wikipedia article on Saint Francis Borgia, as is often the case with Wikipedia when historical matters are concerned, makes the "usual mistake" stating: "He is depicted performing an exorcism by Francisco Goya", but of course this is quite false as is explicitly pointed out in books on art history or on Goya.
Both of these paintings were apparently painted in 1788. What is intriguing to me is the extreme difference in their styles. Why would he have done this? Perhaps one for business, the other for pleasure? In which case, can we guess which was which? ;)
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

Lacenaire

Post by Lacenaire » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:09 pm

PeteMork wrote:
Lacenaire wrote:Note that this paining (posted by Lombano) has exactly the same title as the one posted by Peter Mork. In fact they seem to be two versions of the same painting with the same title and both seem to be by Goya. The one posted by Lombano, which is also the same one that appears in my book on Goya, is in Museum of the Cathedral of Valencia. The other one, that appears in the above Wikipedia article on St. Francis Borgia is in Colección Marquesa de Santa Cruz in Madrid. Anyway, it is the same story and it concerns damnation of an unrepentant sinner and not exorcism as is often mistakenly stated. Note that the Wikipedia article on Saint Francis Borgia, as is often the case with Wikipedia when historical matters are concerned, makes the "usual mistake" stating: "He is depicted performing an exorcism by Francisco Goya", but of course this is quite false as is explicitly pointed out in books on art history or on Goya.
Both of these paintings were apparently painted in 1788. What is intriguing to me is the extreme difference in their styles. Why would he have done this? Perhaps one for business, the other for pleasure? In which case, can we guess which was which? ;)
I think I have found the answer to this. The painting in Madrid is a study for the one in Valencia (the one originally posted by Lombano). It is the Valencia painting that is considered the finished work and usually found in books on Goya. It is curious that the Wikipedia shows the study rather than the finished work, but it does so in an article on St. Francis not on Goya.

Many view this painting as an expression of Goya's anti-religious sentiments as well as his own fear of madness, and it is by no means clear if the painter's sympathy lies with the unrepentant sinner condemned to perpetual torment or the saint who damns him. As usual with Goya this is left highly ambiguous.
Wolfchild

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:25 am

Lacenaire wrote:I think I have found the answer to this. The painting in Madrid is a study for the one in Valencia (the one originally posted by Lombano). It is the Valencia painting that is considered the finished work and usually found in books on Goya. It is curious that the Wikipedia shows the study rather than the finished work, but it does so in an article on St. Francis not on Goya.

Many view this painting as an expression of Goya's anti-religious sentiments as well as his own fear of madness, and it is by no means clear if the painter's sympathy lies with the unrepentant sinner condemned to perpetual torment or the saint who damns him. As usual with Goya this is left highly ambiguous.
Thanks for looking into this.

I'm not sure why, but I think I like the study better than the finished work, even thought the Valencia painting shows the higher level of craftsmanship.

Lacenaire

Post by Lacenaire » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:44 am

a_contemplative_life wrote:They don't make 'em like this anymore! :D
Nor like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRR3IueMNIE
Wolfchild

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:50 am

More Art! :D

Frederick Leighton, Nausicaa

William Bouguereau, Bergere

David Hardy, Meditation

Steve Hanks, Santa Fe Sun

Return to “Off Topic”