What are you listening to?

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
gkmoberg1

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by gkmoberg1 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:13 am

metoo wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:09 am
"Vi är på riktigt" = We are for real.

Laleh plays many instruments, although it appears (from YouTube videos) that she usually only sings at her public performances, sometimes with a guitar.

She used to play virtually all instruments in her first records, but I don't know if she still does that.

Here, at least, she plays the piano:
Looks like she still is doing most of the playing, such as with Det Kommer Bli Bra from 2020. She's quite the musician in addition to being her own lyricist. Yet near most all of her videos don't show the musicianship but rather a story.

Siggdalos

Post by Siggdalos » Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:13 pm

I've spent an unreasonable amount of time lately listening to this, a cover of Ted Ström's "Vintersaga" (1984) made by Amanda Bergman and Oskar Linnros as part of a 2015 ad campaign for Volvo. Ted Ström's original is a rather iconic song about winter melancholy and everyone and their dog have made their own versions of it (there's also a film coming out in 2023 based on it), but the above is by far my favorite. I especially think the combination of visuals and lyrics in the first video encapsulate why winter is my favorite season, even though it's just a fancy car commercial at the end of the day.

A note about the lyrics: the English subtitles in the first video capture the general mood of the song but leave out one distinctive aspect, which is that the lyrics describe various specific locations across Sweden, from Österlen in the south to Kiruna in the north. Here is a more literal translation, based on Monica Törnell's version from 1984.
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

metoo

Post by metoo » Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:31 pm

Personally, I still like Monica Törnell's version best.
It think it catches the mood of depressing darkness and cold in Swedish November - early December exceptionally well.

For several years I used a line from the song as my signature here.

By the way, the line En ensam Volvo sliter i motvinden på Tjörnbron would have been received differently in the early 1980s than today.
At the time Volvo was still the most common car on Swedish roads, something mundane and rather boring. Not the rather exclusive and expensive brand is is today.

My translation:
A lonely Volvo struggles in the head wind on the Tjörn bridge.

But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

EdwardMatthew

Post by EdwardMatthew » Tue May 23, 2023 12:07 pm

Its being a while haven't listen to any good music recommend some good soothing music :P

Siggdalos

Post by Siggdalos » Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:53 pm

De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:04 am

Hans Zimmer is one of a kind!
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

Return to “Off Topic”