Problem posting pics

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
Jessy7217

Re: Problem posting pics

Post by Jessy7217 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:43 pm

Siggdalos wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:24 pm
Not familiar with how Dropbox works. Personally, I use Imgur, which I think is stabler and more reliable than most alternatives. That said, they recently announced that they'll start purging content that's not tied to an active account on their site, so I'll have to re-upload all the pictures I've posted here (no big deal for me personally, but it's something to be aware of if one plans to use the site).
That's why I decided against imgur.

Jessy7217

Post by Jessy7217 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:46 pm

sauvin wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:06 am
When Photobucket decided to try to extort some money out of their users, I wound up having to move all my stuff, and I _do_ believe it was to Imgur. Since then, I've been getting plagued with "OVER CAPACITY" errors trying to access content there, and I think it's because Cloudflare has a basic disagreement with my VPN. Things sure do get deucedly complicated over time.

When I tried to click on Jessy's link, I was also asked to log in. After clicking a few CANCEL buttons, I was able to see the image. Can't promise this approach would work for everybody, though.
Why would they, and how did they, try to extort money?

They absolutely sure do.

Jessy7217

Post by Jessy7217 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:48 pm

sauvin wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:22 am

I was wrong. It wasn't Imgur I moved to, it was Flickr, and while images I'd posted in this forum some while ago still seem to be working, I'm having trouble posting images now, too, even though the syntax I'm using here is exactly the same as what I'd used before.

Hmm. I wonder if it's a forum issue.

Jessy7217

Post by Jessy7217 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:50 pm

sauvin wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:25 am
Image (this line deliberately left intact from an earlier attempt)

Maybe Eli doesn't feel she needs Prozac, but maybe I do! :lol:
Where did that pic come from? I don't recall it, from the movie.

😂

Jessy7217

Post by Jessy7217 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:54 pm

CyberGhostface wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:15 pm
Try uploading on abload.de, that’s what I use
Too much Germsn, which I am not fluent in, and no way to translate it.

Jessy7217

Post by Jessy7217 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:55 pm

sauvin wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:22 am

I was wrong. It wasn't Imgur I moved to, it was Flickr, and while images I'd posted in this forum some while ago still seem to be working, I'm having trouble posting images now, too, even though the syntax I'm using here is exactly the same as what I'd used before.
Gotta have an account, for Flickr. Do you know of any other sites?

Jessy7217

Post by Jessy7217 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:12 pm

Ok. Found a site that works.

This is the post I was trying to get it to work for.

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:44 pm

Jessy7217 wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:50 pm
sauvin wrote:

😂
Lacke had just kicked Eli off of Virginia after she'd dropped on her from a tree. This screenshot is just a little bit "photoshopped". :D
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

Jessy7217

Post by Jessy7217 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:11 pm

sauvin wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:44 pm
Jessy7217 wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:50 pm
sauvin wrote:

😂
Lacke had just kicked Eli off of Virginia after she'd dropped on her from a tree. This screenshot is just a little bit "photoshopped". :D
I love that part of that scene. He looked very confused. 😁

Ah, I see. 😊

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:24 am

Jessy7217 wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:46 pm
sauvin wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:06 am
When Photobucket decided to try to extort some money out of their users, I wound up having to move all my stuff, and I _do_ believe it was to Imgur. Since then, I've been getting plagued with "OVER CAPACITY" errors trying to access content there, and I think it's because Cloudflare has a basic disagreement with my VPN. Things sure do get deucedly complicated over time.

When I tried to click on Jessy's link, I was also asked to log in. After clicking a few CANCEL buttons, I was able to see the image. Can't promise this approach would work for everybody, though.
Why would they, and how did they, try to extort money?

They absolutely sure do.
Some years ago, Photobucket (PB) had offered free accounts for many years in addition to a couple of other paid tiers, and had been used extensively on the free tier in fora just like this one. They decided very abruptly to disable "hotlinking" in the free tier, demanding that people wanting this capability subscribe to a premium tier to the tune of $400/year, only payable yearly and due immediately - as I recall it, the announcement was made a day *after* this policy was put into effect. Fora *everywhere* were suddenly full of posts bearing icon-like images instead of screen shots, photos detailing how to disassemble motorcycle clutches or how to knit particular kinds of loops. Not terribly long afterwards, they changed their policy again, but now images hotlinked from PB's former free tier are boldly stamped with a PB logo, making many of the images almost useless.

Some of the earlier images from my topic "From the Light of a Different Sun" look much like this:

While nobody is going to argue for the image's value in any sense, you can easily see how this branding ruins the image. Imagine trying to tease out details of a clutch assembly or loops in a knitting pattern with this branding obscuring the image.

I'm honestly surprised a greater furor didn't erupt. There'd be some angry posts here and there in various fora, but I don't remember seeing it mentioned outside of any of the fora. It was, however, noted.
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

Return to “Off Topic”