New JAL novel: Summer 1985

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
CyberGhostface

New JAL novel: Summer 1985

Post by CyberGhostface » Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:02 pm

From his instagram (and google translated).
Next novel just finished here in Cefalu, Sicily. It was 340 pages, it's called "Summer 1985" and, yes, a mermaid is important to the plot. Coming spring/summer 2023 if God and Ordfront will.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CkvkFwJDHka/?hl=en

Sounds like a coming of age novel but that's just me guessing.
No banaaaanas?

Siggdalos

Re: New JAL novel: Summer 1985

Post by Siggdalos » Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:36 pm

He described it in the live Q&A he did in May this year.
00:44:20 To what extent does nostalgia play a role in your novel writing?
Very good question. Quite a lot, I think. [...] The novel I'm writing now, called The Summer of 1985, is... I mean, listen to the title. But maybe it'll be called The Darkness (The Summer of 1985). But it's about a fictional island called Särsö in the Stockholm Archipelago and a summer gang of friends who are 13 and 14 years old when the novel takes place. Three girls and four boys, who've always stuck together ever since they were little. What they do, and then something happens. I initially thought that this would be my counterpart to Stephen King's The Body/Stand By Me, but since then it's developed in a different direction. But it's VERY nostalgic. The opening lines are: "It was that summer. The summer of 1985. The Live Aid summer." And then I can use my own memories from the Live Aid summer, for [laughs] all the boomers watching this who know what Live Aid was.

[...]

01:07:45
There will probably be another short story collection in the future. I have around 200 or 220 pages' worth of short stories that I've written for different anthologies, magazines, other countries... So it's coming. There needs to be over 300 at least, otherwise it's a bit too... There has to be a proper amount of stories in order to be a nice collection, so I need to write a few more. I started writing The Summer of 1985 for that reason, but then it turned into a whole novel.
A couple days later, he posted on Facebook that he was reading Astrid Lindgren's Vi på Saltkråkan (about a group of friends on an idyllic island in the Stockholm archipelago) for inspiration.

Return to “Off Topic”