spiders and mosquitos and scorpions, oh my

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
gkmoberg1

spiders and mosquitos and scorpions, oh my

Post by gkmoberg1 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:42 pm

"The 12 Deadliest Insects in the World". Field & Stream. by Bill Heavey, 19-Oct-2020
https://www.fieldandstream.com/story/su ... the-world/
B. Heavey on Mosquitos wrote:Mosquitoes have a special organ, the maxillary palp, which detects CO2 released from our breath and guides them to us, where they consume three times their own weight in blood. Mosquitoes are known to prefer beer drinkers, probably because drinking a beer increases the ethanol content in your sweat. Ethanol turns mosquitoes on. Plus, all booze increases your body temperature, which makes you easier for a mosquito to find. People of greater body mass attract more bugs for the same reason. Mosquitoes also prefer people with O type blood. Nobody knows exactly why, but the assumption is that O-blood-type people smell better, to mosquitoes at least, than everybody else. [emphasis by gkmoberg1]

So... I smell better than most! Ha, take that! Oh wait, um, Eli, stay back. No.

The rest of this article is pretty good, esp if you want to cure yourself of being able to fall of to sleep peacefully :twisted:

Return to “Off Topic”